filling over screw heads

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by adameco, May 5, 2016.

1. adameco

adameco New Member

Hi, I've removed the OSB sheet flooring from my bedroom and I'm currently laying pine 7" tongue and groove floorboards, I've used Spax flooring screws to hold them down tight, but would probably like to fill over the screw heads. Is it better to do this before staining the boards or use a wood putty after?

Also can anyone recommend a hard wearing topcoat varnish?

Thanks

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Fill before.

3. If they are tongue and grooved,why did you not secret nail them.
    Much better job.

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Bit late for that advice. :)

5. I know,but had to ask.

6. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

As the OP is using Spax screws, he could have screwed the floor boards through the tongue anyway (in the way they've been designed to be used) ;);)

7. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

He must have loads of loot, if he can afford Spax.....We all know that Reisser are loads cheaper. ;);)

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Not come across 7" floorboards. Seen 6" in old houses.

9. adameco

adameco New Member

I thought about using the tongue tite screws in the hidden screw method, but as i haven't got a sub floor im screwing straight onto the joists, I thought going through the boards would give me a stronger hold.

10. adameco

adameco New Member

I used screwfix item number 88716 they have the twin thread to hold the board and pull it tight to the joist.

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Rather than filling the screw holes you may want to consider using plugs made out of the off cuts. You may have to put the screws in a little deeper to accomodate the plug.

Possibly a little more effort than filling and then sanding but you won't get so much of an issue with the stain highlighting the filler - even if you do the wood glue and sawdust trick it will be hard to match

12. mr moose

mr moose Screwfix Select

13. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

You should have left the osb and fitted 8mm laminate pine effect.

14. adameco

adameco New Member

Sorry i should have said at the start the OSB was previously water dameaged and cracked in several different areas