Finding a leak in a Central Heating System.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by trudy, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Yep - chust looked at the installations instructions. That makes it even easier :)

Don't forget, tho' - the boiler must be turned off all the time these valves are closed.

trudy likes this.
  2. trudy

trudy Member

Hello again,

I turned the flow taps off yesterday as suggested. I left it for 24 hours and the pressure has decreased by approximately ¼ bar.

Is this good or bad news?!

3. Can you confirm you actually mean you shut off BOTH flow and return taps on the boiler? If you only closed ONE tap, then we are no further forward on this test...

But, if you closed BOTH and the pressure still dropped by a quarter bar, then that suggests your leak is from within the boiler.

Is that good or bad news? Could be. Either.

It might be as little an issue as a safety release valve allowing a trickle of water through. This is the valve that is meant to pop open if your system reaches 3 bar and allows the excess pressure to escape (and from your description, that may well have been the case). What happens then is that is doesn't shut properly afterwards and allows a steady leak afterwards.

You can check this easily by locating the 15mm copper pipe outside the house that allows this discharge - it should be pointing downwards safely at the ground. ID this and then loosely tape a clear plastic bag over the end so's you can monitor any discharge.

If it turns out to be a leaking pressure release valve, then that's a pretty cheap thing to replace. But you would only do so after working out what else is wrong with your boiler.

Now that you've carried out that test and the pressure is set to ~1 bar, what happens now? How does the boiler behave when turned on and what does that pressure gauge do?

trudy likes this.
  4. trudy

trudy Member

Yes, I can confirm I shut off both flow and return taps on the boiler.

I attached a bag to the 15mm outside pipe last night without turning the heating on. This morning it has collected approximately ¼ cup full of water.

Should I leave the bag in place when I fire the boiler up to see what happens next?

Thank you.

5. No need - I think your test is pretty conclusive.

That's good news - it looks as tho' your pressure release valve is letting by after it was forced open when the pressure hit 3 bar during your current issues...

They tend to do that - they rarely seal off again afterwards - a real pain.

At least it suggest your leak is an easy issue - MUCH better than a hidden pipework leak or a blown heat exchanger or summat.

(PRVs are around £30 and can be replaced in a half-hour).

You need a GasSafe - (a) to replace that PRV and (b) to sort out your pressure issues. (b) needs to be done before (a) or else you may end up 'leaking' another PRV...

trudy likes this.
  6. trudy

trudy Member

Thank you so much for all your help and advice.

I will find a GasSave engineer - do I simply explain my boiler has 'pressure issues' and need that fixed first plus a new PRV?

Do you know whether the pressure issue is likely to fixed at the boiler or will he need to adjust radiators in different rooms too (I only ask as I have an elderly parent who is bed-bound and would need to plan ahead).

7. The pressure issue should have nothing to do with the rads.

Yes, you explain you've had pressure fluctuations which you suspect has tripped the safety release valve, and it's now dripping and slowly losing you pressure.

Emphasise that the original fluctuating pressures issues have not been resolved either - that's the main thing.

trudy likes this.
  8. trudy

trudy Member

Thank you again for your invaluable adivce, I truly appreciate the time and effort you have taken to assist me.

It has put my mind at rest that I wont have to have my floorboards ripped up afterall! :):)

9. Fingers crossed :)

10. trudy

trudy Member

Sorry for the delay in getting back to you...I arranged for a GasSave Engineer to replace the PRV etc., - all seems well now. Thanks again for taking the time to advise me. :):)

11. Fab! :D

(Keep an eye on that gauge over the next few weeks. In between drinking and eating lots...)

12. trudy

trudy Member

Hello again, I thought I would come back to you as you were so helpful last time I had boiler troubles.

Since I had the valve changed the heating has worked fine until today!

Now when I turn it on the temp gage rises quickly to about 78 and then immediately drops to about 58 before rising and falling again. After this has happened about 3 times the boiler switches itself off and drops to around the 30 mark before starting the cycle again. Usually when it reaches the high temperature it starts 'kettling' badly and the needle starts jumping wildly.

I'm not sure if this is relevant, but I never use the boiler for hot water as it doesn't work properly (temperature rises rapidly and kettling starts before it turns itself off) therefore I rely on the immersion. I decided as the heating was working well that I would try the hot water from the boiler but unfortunately the results were the same. Could this have messed things up with my heating?

Do you have any suggestions on how I can get things working again?

Thank you.

13. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Kettling is usually a scaled up hot water heat exchanger,restricting flow, & descaling them isn't 100% effective as the waterways within them are small, so a new one is needed.

Here a photo of one that's scaled up.

upload_2017-1-28_11-21-44.jpeg

14. What type of boiler is it, Trudy?

(Oh, Happy Fixed Boiler for a Short Time, by the way... :))

It does sound as tho' the heated water isn't being taken away by the flow fast enough, and this could well be due to scaling as KIAB says. The layer of scale insulates and partially blocks the waterways, so the water heats up very rapidly before the overheat 'stat cuts in and shuts the flame orf.

I'm not sure is descalers would work, but it's surely worth a try? Check out Sentinel X200 - our hosts stock it.

If your boiler has temp controls, try turning it down a good bit - if you can slow down the heating rate, perhaps it'll have a better chance of getting rid of the heated water before it 'trips'.

Anyhoo, what type of boiler? Combi? System? Make and model?

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

I knew old plumber who ue to remove the HW heat exchanger & soak it in Kilrock-K Descaler, took several applications to remove the limescale, never 100% effective though.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  16. Worth a try for £20 tho', as the alternative is very costly... :oops:

17. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

18. :eek:

I meant to add to her CH system!

19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:confused:

It's the HW heat exchanger that is scaled up, & that is the cause of kettling when she turns on tap.

Wouldn't be a bad idea to give CH side of system a dose of cleaner, but you ideally need a filter (Magnaclean Pro 2) to catch the dislodged crud rather than continually recirclating it.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  20. Oh! I see... The domestic water side of the exchanger?

Argh, stuffed then... :oops:

Trudy, does this heat 'cycling' and kettling occur with the CH side too? Or chust when you draw water? (And is it a combi?)

If it's a combi, then drawing DHW will have the boiler running flat out, so I wouldn't be surprised if kettling occurred here from scaling on even the 'system' side of the boiler.

Anyhoo, I suspect you really need a cove out to diagnose, Trudy.