Finishing off a kitchen - some questions from a non builder

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by GiselaRaven, Jul 18, 2017.

1. GiselaRaven

GiselaRaven New Member

I hired a builder to renovate my (not particularly large) kitchen. We're 10 days into the job, and it's becoming painfully obvious that he's a shoddy worker as well as being very slow, and also that he's unwilling to do more than 2 or 3 hours of actual work per day. I'm willing to bet he's never installed a kitchen before, despite assuring me he had. Anyway, I want to have a shot at finishing the job myself (I figure… why not!), but I'm wondering whether if some kind soul could give me a few pointers.

This is what's left to do:
    Grouting a tiled area about 2m square and cleaning up the tiles smeared with tile adhesive.
    Sealing the edge of kitchen worktop to the edge of the tiling (if that's the right term?)
    Sealing the kitchen sink to the worktop (the sink is inset into the worktop)
    Finishing off a wall that's been roughly drilled into to install new sockets
    Taking up (vinyl) flooring and installing new (vinyl) flooring
    And also painting the walls and taking down some shelves, but that should be fine...

Can anybody recommend a grouting product that's decent quality and not too expensive?
    What product do I need to use to seal the worktop to the tiling? The sink to the worktop?
    What tools/ product do I need to make the wall smooth?
    To take out the flooring (several layers of old vinyl in pretty bad shape), what tool should I use?

Thanks in advance to anybody who might reply.
    Apologies if it's not the right forum, or if I should introduce myself first…

2. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Everything you have posted is do-able as DIY, so have a go!

Grouting a tiled area about 2m square and cleaning up the tiles smeared with tile adhesive. Clean off the tile adhesive first with e.g. a sharp piece of wood or plastic. Buy some ready mix grout, watch a youtube vid of how to grout and do it. It's easy.
    Sealing the edge of kitchen worktop to the edge of the tiling (if that's the right term?) If it's already tiled, then use silicon sealant after you have grouted. You need a tube of decent quality silicon and an applicator gun. It isn't expensive, so buy a tube and practice first - you cut the nozzle at an angle, sort of lay the angle flattish against the joint and squeeze and move gently. It's better to practice on some scrap first because silicon is yucky stuff to get off when you put too much on. DON'T use a wet finger to smooth you WILL get it everywhere. For a few quid you can buy silicon rubber smoothers off e.g. amazon which are much much better than wet fingers! https://tinyurl.com/ybhuyfj2
    Sealing the kitchen sink to the worktop (the sink is inset into the worktop). Again a bead of silicon, but this goes under the sink edge so is easy to do. If the sink is already clipped but not sealed, unclip it and lift it. You will prob have to ease off the waste pipe, but they reconnect easily. Hopefully the taps are on flexi's with isolator valves. You may be able to just lift the sink enough to get a bead under, if not turn off the isolator and undo the joint with a spanner(s). Don't try sealing round the edge of the sink in place - it won't work. While you can get at it make sure the cut edge of the worktop is sealed. use silicon, evostick, gloss paint or whatever - the thing is to keep the water out if there are any leaks.
    Finishing off a wall that's been roughly drilled into to install new sockets. If it's very small areas, you could just use polyfilla type fillers. If its a long chased out slot get a bag of easyfinish from the builders merchant and use that e.g. http://www.cwberry.com/Build/Plaste...iniat-GTEC-Easy-Finish-Xtra-10kg_02210096.htm. Fill it and sand it back if necessary.
    Taking up (vinyl) flooring and installing new (vinyl) flooring Watch some vids - it's all doable.
    And also painting the walls and taking down some shelves, but that should be fine...

Can anybody recommend a grouting product that's decent quality and not too expensive? Any decent name grout is fine - readymixed or powder.
    What product do I need to use to seal the worktop to the tiling? The sink to the worktop? decent quality silicon sealant - don't buy the cheapest one - there are lot's of different brands.
    What tools/ product do I need to make the wall smooth? Depends to an extent how big an area you have to fill. If it's smallish area use any flat metal trowel, piece of flat plastic or whatever just to smooth the filler into the hole - do it in thin layers if deeper than 10mm
    To take out the flooring (several layers of old vinyl in pretty bad shape), what tool should I use? Depends how fiddly the area is. A sharp spade often works quite well for gouging off old stuck tiles, but again depends a bit on what you have to hand and exactly what the tiles are. If they are really hard and really tough, you might need a bolster chisel and a hammer

Have a go - many people find they can make a decent job DIYing if they take their time. Nothing you have posted requires expensive tools. Lot's of help and advice here :)

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
    KIAB and PhilSo like this.
  3. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

In fact, for just about everything, youtube is your friend - it's just having the confidence to get stuck in, and always practice first before you do something for real. And always measure twice and cut once!!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Old credit/store cards makes a great tool, as a filling tool.

Last edited: Jul 18, 2017
  5. Nis999

Nis999 Member

Mr Rusty has covered most points, your understanding of all this depends on your experience, which we don’t know….

Grouting a tiled area about 2m square and cleaning up the tiles smeared with tile adhesive. Clearly you were right about your builder, any half competent tiler would not have left adhesive on the face of the tiles. I am often faced with this when taking over other peoples jobs – I use a window or decorators scraper (that takes a Stanley knife blade), taking care not to scratch the tiles

Sealing the edge of kitchen worktop to the edge of the tiling (if that's the right term?) If you have a Screwfix nearby, The No-Nonsense clear silicone is OK quality and probably the cheapest (its made by Siroflex) – you can seal the “cut-out” edges with it too as Mr Rusty suggested (but wear disposable gloves). I also use undiluted PVA for cut-outs, whatever is handiest. If there’s no local Screwfix, then tool station dot comm have a minimum of only £10 to get free next day delivery.
    Sealing the kitchen sink to the worktop (the sink is inset into the worktop)
    Finishing off a wall that's been roughly drilled into to install new sockets. Assuming your builder has chiseled out oblong holes for double sockets, you will need some metal 25mm back boxes which ideally should be fixed to the back of the hole with screws and plugs – who is doing the cabling? This usually has to be done before tiling….

Can anybody recommend a grouting product that's decent quality and not too expensive? http://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-grout-spreader-8/5230d and http://www.screwfix.com/p/mapei-buildfix-flexible-wall-floor-grout-white-2-5kg/70239

You will need a sponge to wipe down after grouting, special grouting sponges are best but a car wash sponge will do the job for 50p or £1

B&Q and Screwfix might be the same company, but grout is usually cheaper at S/F. It pays to check though.

Or
    https://www.toolstation.com/shop/p67317?table=noOr

What product do I need to use to seal the worktop to the tiling? The sink to the worktop?
    What tools/ product do I need to make the wall smooth?
    To take out the flooring (several layers of old vinyl in pretty bad shape), what tool should I use?
    Depending how they have been stuck down, you might need one of these http://www.screwfix.com/p/heavy-duty-scraper-4/16530#_=p

As Mr Rusty says, look for all this stuff on YouTube, but watch a couple at least on each subject as some are better than others. Oh and get yourself a pack of Wonder wipes, great for removing wet silicone, grout dust etc, and a LOT of kitchen roll!! Any problems, try posting a pic!

6. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

You mentioned he did some electrics I would get them checked by a spark some builders electrical work can be pretty bad

7. Best way to get tile adhesive off is hot water and a sponge! it comes off really easily!

8. GiselaRaven

GiselaRaven New Member

Thank you so much all! Much appreciated! I obviously don't really have any points of reference, but after him having been on the job for over 2 weeks, I can honestly I'm not particularly impressed. He laid down some lino flooring the last couple of days, and it doesn't even look flat. I'm actually worries about the plumbing I asked him to do, because I have no way of knowing if it's going to hold together, and since I live in a flat, that's a real concern.

If ever there is a next time (right now I'm thinking "never again!!!!!!!"), I'll definitely have a go at most things myself. At least if things go wrong, it'll be my responsibility!

Funny you should mention the electricity... I'm just about to ask a question in the electricians forum (the light he has installed in the kitchen worked at first, but didn't when I put new bulbs in - I'd love a second opinion as to it's my fault (which it could be).

Anyway, thanks again.

9. facilities

facilities Guest

Especially if you use your Mrs cards you'll save a fortune ;)

KIAB likes this.
  10. GiselaRaven

GiselaRaven New Member

@facilities LOL, well I'm a single female, but thanks for the tip! :);)

11. GiselaRaven

GiselaRaven New Member

In the interest of fairness, I will say that he did clean up the tiles, and they look OK... So that's good, obviously.

12. GiselaRaven

GiselaRaven New Member

OK, now I have one more question - he sealed the joint where the tiling meets the worktop with some kind of white product (?silicone - doesn't matter - it looks fine). Anyway, we're having a bit of a tussle about the final invoice (I disagree with his figures, but he won't provide me with a breakdown of how he came to his starting point), and he's implying that is something he did me as a favour. So, just curious, is that not part of worktop installation and/ or timing?