Fitted new Triton Enrich 8.5kw power shower

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Mambobob, May 21, 2017.

1. Mambobob

Mambobob New Member

All,

Well there was I feeling all content and clever with myself, after swapping out an old Mira shower that gave up the ghost and changed it to a new Triton power shower ( all plumbing re-networked and now running from the mains water )

My problem is this, the shower runs but when I turn it up to High it cuts off and blows the 13amp fuse that is situated in the airing cupboard - Firstly I checked the rating on the fuse that was marked for the shower and it can hold upto 8.5kw - This is not for the onsuite shower this is for the shower in the extension !!

I have found now that there is a separate RCB (singular) and two fused plugs at the back of the hot water tank - now the RCB does not trip (25A) but the fused box switch (13amp) does when the shower is turned on to high.

My question is this - do I need to uprate the RCB to a 40AMP breaker ?

Help in this matter is fully appreciated as Im all out of 13amp fuses..

Attached Files:

2. The circuit you are trying to use is not suitable for the shower you have.

3. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

hi your post is a bit confusing,if I have correctly understood ,you have installed an 8.5kw electric shower which only has a cold water supply.if that is so it is not a power shower. an 8.5 kW shower needs a dedicated circuit from your consumer unit ( fuse board) it can not be connected to any thing else like sockets etc. it should not be connected to anything that has 13 amp fuses. you have a serious electrically unsafe installation. can you supply. further detailed info

4. Mambobob

Mambobob New Member

right, I used to have a Mira Hot/Cold fed shower installed until it broke last week - I have now fitted a Triton electric shower ( not Power ) I have capped off the hot water flow and now fed the new shower with the cold which I have T-junctioned from the mains cold water pipe feeding the tank above. I have found that when I turned on the shower ( first time installation guide - commissioning ) that when I turn it to hot after about 3 mins it loses AC power. I checked the MCB in the garage and it has not tripped - further investigation has led me to a RCB that is situated on the back of the onsuite wall ( the airing cupboard ) with the setup of which I have pictured. There seems to be two fused switches and a RCB all connected with the shower cable going off behind the way and the cables going through the floor. I have replaced the 13amp fuse in the top switch and gained power again to the shower , but on high it blows the fuse not the RCB ?

This is how the old shower was powered and not directly to the MCB as when I turn off the MCB fuse it turns the power socket rings off also !! so the before owner must have wired the shower up like this.

Your help is appreciated.

5. You need to get an electrician to put in a new dedicated circuit for the shower.

6. Mambobob

Mambobob New Member

I'm getting where you are coming from Deleted member 11267, but how come the last shower worked fine cabled up this way ?

7. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

as Deleted member 11267 said ! I think your old shower was power shower not like your new one. that did not need powerful heating element to heat the water and would not draw anything like the current your new one does.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

9. Your old shower was a power shower, which just has a thermostatic control and a small pump inside the casing.
    It did not heat any water.

10. Mambobob

Mambobob New Member

Thanks, Daughters boyfriend is a sparky - that's sorted then
    Mr.Handyandy - ROFL.

11. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

:)

12. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

If not, he'll never post again........