Fitting a raised stone shower tray

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by SirV, Apr 28, 2015.

1. SirV

SirV New Member

I have a stone shower tray that needs fitting above the floor, raised by about 45mm as the waste is above the joists as they run the wrong way.

Just want to see if my fitting process is ok.

Lay some quite chunky buttons and allow for routing of the waste
    Use a 18mm piece of WBP ply on the top
    Fit tray to the board with a cement mix

Sound ok?

What about the exposed edges of the frame the tray sits on, how can I make those look neat and tidy. Some sort of plastic trim or tile it.

2. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

you can get rising kits for them with adjustable legs and a panel, no need for cement mix,
    rising kit

3. SirV

SirV New Member

Good thinking. Let me have a look.

4. SirV

SirV New Member

I emailed the supplier and they told me just to use a riser kit. I questioned them how do you screw riser feet into a stone shower tray and again they confirmed this is what you do - I really don't think so!

Looks like I will make a frame and use a ply top.

5. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Up to you, riser kits are fine though. Your method above would work ok, but the riser kit will be less cost, ten times quicker, and a hundred times quicker to get the shower tray level. Only thing with riser kits is that the side panels are usually a bit flimsy and secured with velcro so you may want to beef them up a bit.

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

There will be purpose made sockets for the riser kit feet to fit into. Your going to have a lot of trouble leveling a wooden frame, whereas you just need to adjust the feet on a riser kit, five minuite job.

7. SirV

SirV New Member

Do you mean the tray has sockets in it? I ask as it doesn't, its a stone tray with a stone bottom, no wooded base on it.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

If the makers say there is a riser kit then yes there will be provision to fit the feet.
    A lot of stone resin trays have a wooden bottom but around the perimeter should be the sockets for the fee. You have spoken to the manufacturer, they said use the riser kit so where is the problem?

9. SirV

SirV New Member

Heres a coupe of pictures of the underside of the tray

IMG_0211.jpg IMG_0213.jpg IMG_0212.jpg

10. SirV

SirV New Member

I see what you are saying but there are no sockets fixings for feet.

11. snezza30

snezza30 Member

With that type of Stone resin tray, the leg boss's & legs of the riser kit are usually attached to the tray by means of double sided adhesive pads.

They stick really well !!!!!

However, the legs normally lift the height of the tray by about 100mm, so be prepared for that.

Also, as someone else mentioned, the plastic panel that fits in front of the legs is often quite flimsy.

12. SirV

SirV New Member

The tray is very bumpy on the bottom so I'm not sure sticky ones would stick

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

use a plywood base the same size as the tray, screw the feet to the plywood, then use silicone to stick the tray to the plywood,

14. SirV

SirV New Member

Sounds like a plan

15. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

The shower will come with a full set of instructions which will tell you exactly what to do. Some tray manufacturers specifically exclude fixing their trays down with silicon, others don't appear to worry. Just follow the MI's.

16. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Just make a stand for it, or take the waste outside, or you can drill a hole in the joist in the right place in the joist, go to notching & drilling in building regs

Plumberbish likes this.
  17. Plumberbish

Plumberbish Active Member

I've done dozens making a base from timber and ply...nice and strong...I Was always taught to use gripfill to stick the tray to the base...never tried cement mix...dry fit the tray to check how level it is before cementing/grip filling...your base may be level but trays can have bows and bellys