Fitting close coupled toilet to soil pipe in floor

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by skinny d, May 4, 2006.

1. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi, I have an old style toilet with a wall mounted cistern. The soil pipe sticks up out of the bathroom floor by a few inches and is at least 9inches away from the wall. At the moment there is a 90degree connector between the outlet of the toilet and the soil pipe.

I've been offered a new close-coupled toilet for free but just looking at it I can see that it is designed for a soil pipe mounted horizontally in the wall.

Is this a common problem of fitting new toilets in older properties? Is there a way of doubling the outlet from the toilet back and down?

2. tgs

tgs New Member

The main problem in fitting close coupled in place of low level WCs is that the close couple needs a hole in the floor almost against the wall. You will be able to fit the WC but you will find the cistern doesn't meet the wall. The new pan will be in the same position as the old one.

If you want to fit your new WC then the simplest way is to make a box to fit between the cistern and the wall and make it into a shelf unit. You can get a pan connector to fit between the pan and the hole in the floor.

3. plummit

plummit New Member

A swan neck multiquik will get the cistern closer to the wall. A difference of a larger or smaller shelf, or a false wall. Or re-route the soil pipe.

4. 602 Trooper

602 Trooper New Member

I had this problem 3 weeks ago. To fit the new close coupled toilet against the wall would have meant that the soil outlet would have been covered by the toilet itself.

I had pre-empted the problem on my initial inspection and asked my customer to try and get a new toilet that was "suitable". However he bought a new close coupled toilet as it was going cheap in a sale.

He did however agree to the solution posted tonight in that the toilet should be fitted to mate up to the soil stack in the floor leaving the cistern a few inches away from the wall.

He is going to "box it in" later and make a storage/shelf unit behind the cistern. It did look strange though leaving it as it was, stuck in the middle of the downstairs loo.

5. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I normally dig the floor up and set the pipe back to the wall provided there is enough vertical pipe under the floor to cut and add two 45deg bends and a flexiseal coupling.

An Ideal Standard Space Pan and a spacemaker pan connector can sometimes work as the pan has a hollow back which allows the Pan to fit much closer to the wall.

6. tgs

tgs New Member

Your a braver man than I bathstyle. I would never even think of quoting for this unless the customer was adamant. In fact I would tend to try to get them to buy a low level suite before I would consider this option. The thought of trying uncover a clay pipe in a concrete floor and keep it intact is the stuff of nightmares.

7. skinny d

skinny d New Member

Hi there, thanks for the replies, I'll get my hands on this free CC toilet I've been offered and see how much space there is behind it.

I suppose now should be confession time. I'm new to building and have been renovating a little old welsh cottage for the past few years. One of the first jobs was to re do the soil and drainage in the place so I very carefully measured the position of the soil pipe in the bathroom then hacked up part of the floor, replaced the cracked old clay pipe with new PVC then relaid new floor on top where needed.

So now I have a very accurately placed soil pipe in exactly the same place as it was before. Doh.

Its only now that I'm doing a second visit on the bathroom and wanting to buy a complete suite that I realise that I'm limiting my options with not being able to have a CC bog.

Thinking about it, it wouldn't be that much hassle to chip up the floor in that corner, extend the pipe a further 6 inches towards the wall then refill with a dash of concrete. A bit smelly, but worth it I think.

Cheers, Dave

8. kinnellfire

kinnellfire New Member

hi ,they do a dropover toilet made to do this job, will fit sraught in no problems,i do them all the time.

9. tgs

tgs New Member

hi ,they do a dropover toilet made to do this job, will fit sraught in no problems,i do them all the time.

Who does, where? Do you happen to have a link we could investigate?

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

Take a look at the export ranges on this Ideal Standard site:-

http://www.thebluebook.co.uk/#

Just click on product catalogue on the top left of the page.

They look good on paper but it can become difficult to position the Pan to suit the outlet

11. kinnellfire

kinnellfire New Member

Hi, TGS, new to forum,but have been watching for a while.
    i do all bathroom fits, and this nine to ten inch from the wall problem has cropped up many times.the bathroom shop i sub contract to supply me when needed with this drop over toilet
    with an offset pan connector you can generally fit this close coupled toilet no probs.
    Have no links for internet,but have just fitted the new model
    made by ideal,a dual flush push button.
    I .hope this helps.

12. tgs

tgs New Member

Found it on the ideal website. 195mm from the wall to centre of hole for the Accolade. Might be a possibility for some circumstances.

Problem I have is that in most cases the customer has already got the suite so I have to deal with the consequences. In many cases, digging up the floor has unacceptable time and cost issues, as well as not knowing what I going to find there. Could be a simple connection or a complete nightmare.

Maybe I'm just paranoid.

13. kinnellfire

kinnellfire New Member

Who is not paranoid about the kit we have to fit these days.
    it looks good,but does not work as good as the fitting you have replaced it with.
    These toilets do the job,and look good.
    Most of my customers would pass out,if i gave them a price for digging up.
    I generally recommend, when doing quote,this is what you need.

14. Dreadnaught Heating

Dreadnaught Heating New Member

Bathstyle, as a matter of interest, just how big an excavation around the vertical claypipe do you dig, and what apparatus(?) to you use to cut the claypipe cleanly?

(I'm afraid that up to now I have shied away from digging up floors to alter the vertical pipe, and just use various combinations of pan connectors, then spaced cistern off wall, if necessary) :(