Fitting door lining to new opening

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by TheGrovesy, Apr 26, 2016.

1. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Hi all. I have cut an opening through an external wall (2 skins) into our new utility room. I am after advice on how best to fit the door lining as the cut brickwork is fairly rough and a bit uneven. Photo link below.

Also I'm not sure I can get a ready made lining wide enough as it's 330mm so will probably have to buy large pine planks.

Should I pack the lining out with something to get them true (if so what?) then fill behind with expanding? Thanks.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ywy0y8hmfozfm1n/_IMG_000000_000000.jpg?dl=0

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

You could make the linings from 25mm ply but I would probably plaster the gap as it is and then fit a liner to it.

TheGrovesy likes this.
  3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Fit a cavity closer, then plaster.

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

upload_2016-4-26_20-30-20.jpeg
    Like this.

5. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Thanks for the replies. It's quite a rough uneven brickwork from the cutting so will need quite a lot of plaster to even out/make flat. I was hoping I could do it without that. And there isn't enough gap to apply plasterboard first as I made the gap just wide enough for a lining and door.

6. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Just seen your second reply kiab. That's quite interesting. And could work. However I still have the issue that the brickwork is pretty rough/uneven so the lining would simply screw flush. How can I do this?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I wondered about the cavity closer but as this is no longer an external wall...
    Can't you just make the hole bigger?

8. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

I could but the other rooms are now finished and making it wider would make a hell of a mess. Would rather avoid it if possible.

9. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

I would have enough for cement board... but don't I still have the same problem of securing it to rough/uneven brickwork?

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Looks like polystyrene beads used for cavity insulation, I hope the beads don't all fall out :oops:

11. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I think go with 25mm plywood or similar, pine will cup with this width so either man made or engineered board.

Once the liners are cut and put into place and plumb and level, put in a few screw fixings to keep it held in place.. If you leave about 1/2"+ gap you can squirt foam adhesive in the gap. It will form a strong bond. A temporary brace can be fixed to keep the lining all square until the adhesive goes off.

TheGrovesy likes this.
  12. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Will the lining eventually hand doors, if so make accordingly to size of doors.

TheGrovesy likes this.
  13. TheGrovesy

TheGrovesy Member

Thanks jitender that was my line of thinking so glad someone agrees. 25mm ply is a good idea as will probably be easier to get hold of and cheaper than pine.
    Will use foam adhesive too :).

14. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

This is good stuff, looks like its been reduced in price.

I use the gun grade one.

Spray wall with water prior.

TheGrovesy likes this.
  15. sammy88

sammy88 New Member

here's one I did yesterday screw 15 mm batons on frame cut mdf to the biggest size hold in place mark top and bottom with the wall

Attached Files:

16. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I hope your carpentry skills are better than your photography skills Sammy:)

sammy88 likes this.
  17. Won't an issue with ply be that the exposed ends will be poorly finished? I'm guessing you'll be fitting architrave over it afterwards, but that won't cover it all.

So perhaps a solid board like MDF or summat?

18. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

That's what I was thinking.

Possibly blockboard, which is made from laminated timber pieces.

I usually get it cut at the store. If going for ply make sure that the edges are do not de-laminate.

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I wouldn't like to use MDF as a liner, it's far too unstable and you would have fun chopping the hinges and lock keep in.
    I suppose you could use furniture board or simply leave ample clearance in the first place. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

20. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Another option is to fit a lining which inst as wide as the reveal, a 200mm lining would work.

Its just then a matter of plaster boarding out the sides and making sure there is a angle bead for plastering for the corners.

If going for full width make the lining 2-3mm wider, so when the architrave is fixed it continues onto the wall keeping flat.

Last edited: Apr 27, 2016