Fitting IKEA kitchen

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Daver77, Jan 30, 2015.

1. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Will have to extend copper pipes under the units for a dishwasher, install a dbl sink and a washing machine, never did this type of jobs before but I am keen on DIY, do you reckon it's DIY or should a get a pro to do it? Need a few second opinions pls

2. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Is the dishwasher freestanding or integrated?

Best to look at the specs on the dishwasher you intend to buy to make sure there is enough room to have the supply and waste pipes etc.

3. Do Ikea units still have their back panels right near the back - no cable or pipe void behind?

Anyways, it depends on how competent a DIYer you are.

Go to PooTube and search 'kitchen fitting'.

Come back if you have any questions.

If you start asking lots of 'obvious' Qs such as "How do I level the units..." then I think we might give up on you...

Nice dimple, by the way... :)

Daver77 likes this.
  4. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Would recommend dishwasher and washing machine using a 40mm waste pipe.

Double sink on separate 40mm waste, do you have access to a soil stack?

Have you had a kitchen plan drawn up?

5. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Cheers ladies, No void behind, and it's integrated, so it will fit in the unit, oh and thxs, but changed the photo didn't want to five the wrong impression, also, have seen loads of vids, already fitted half of the kitchen, just need to level doors and fit handles, there are waste pipes I can reuse behind the existing sink (washing machine will be there) and behind the washing machine could use it both for the new sink and integrated dishwasher maybe?

Attached Files:

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Plumbing like all trades is definitely a skill worth having and you don't need many tools as with other trades. The job you require is probably a bit too large to start off at.

I have learned everything my self, self taught and by being on this forum and am confident in doing my own plumbing. Most of the job is involve in plannig.

FatHands likes this.
  7. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

I know what you mean, for the mains extension, would you use copper pipes amd solder or compression ?

8. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I prefer copper piping and solder end feed (not solder ring). I know when I've applied the solder that the joint is good, and will never leak.

9. Daver77

Daver77 New Member

Yes, I am a man that likes to do a job once

10. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

I would look at getting a torch, solder (lead free for potable water), and a selection of fittings and pipe. This is how I started out and slowly built of my kit, ans start form there. Yes there will be mistakes but that's part of the learning process, you learn something new everyday.

The main thing to remember when soldering is that the pipe should be dry, there should be no water in it, as it will never heat up. And spending time cleaning the fittings, this pays dividends.

I originally had a Tamar butane gas torch, but now have a proper gas torch as the flame is more concentrated.

Last edited: Jan 30, 2015