Fitting mortise lock

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by tore81, Oct 15, 2015.

1. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Hi guys

Recently had a few mortice locks to fit.

I am currently using flat wood bits and making a series of holes then chiselling out.

Questions

Should I be overlapping the holes I'm drilling.

As it seems to take a long time doing this way. Also do you add a couple of mm so the mortice goes in loose. Just worry about the faceplate being a nice finish??

Just think I could be speeding up the process. Any advice would be great.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Router & lock jig or Souber DBB Mortice Lock Fitting Jig.

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It's quicker using a router if you're doing a few.
    Once you have drilled a series of holes go in at an angle to clear the waste out and just clean up with the chisel.

4. Souber tools do a fantastic jig for mortice locks;

Souber Powermatic DBB Morticer Jig
    [​IMG]
    A bit dear as a one off but if you have to do many then it's worth it's weight in gold.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

Personally, I'd use auger bits (and overlap the holes slightly) As chippie says "go in at an angle" (afterwards) to clear the waste out. Something I've found with some of the cheaper locks is, the manufacturer tells you to use a 19mm bit, but when you've drilled the mortice out, the lock's a bloody tight fit in it, so needs touching up after with a chisel. ;);)

6. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Kiab that looks good bit of kit. Have you got one?

Cheers chippie I I didn't think of that makes sense. Think I'm putting the mortice in too tight.

7. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Yes John that's what I'm finding too tight. I'm messing about with the chisel too much. Way too long and annoying.

Look into that Mike. I was thinking of dust in the building as I work in occupied. but you will have that anyway with drilling. Looks awesome kit

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Can certainly agree with Kiab about the lock jig. I can do it manually if I need too, but using a newly aquired Trend jig makes it almost embarrassingly easy...so far anyhow! Still a bit of tweaking by hand to do after, but it will take you 5 mins from start to finish once setup if you're doing a batch of the same locks. The bulk of my work is in refurbing renters, so often need to change a lot of the internal doors for fire doors. Nothing exciting and interesting about it, and they're bloody heavy :mad: but they all need 3" euro sashlocks for thumb turns and the quicker they're done, the better.
    The jig makes it far less 'painful' as I have a million and one things to do and I don't have time to get purist about the chopping in of a lock.
    Just depends on how often you need to fit mortice locks in justifying buying one.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I used to use 2 fences on the router using M10 studding instead of guide bars to make them long enough and 2 clamps as end stops on the door. You could just drill 2 holes in some angle iron instead of buying another fence.

tore81 and CGN like this.
  10. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Kiab

That's what I'm fitting 3inch euros. With the trend system I'm guessing The door will have to be taken off and put on its side. I've always hung the door then lock.

I have to match it up with the receiver as they are just kicked in doors, going into old linings.

Are you using 1/2 inch router?

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

1/2" router with 30mm guide bush. Yes, the door needs to be on its side to do it safely. It'll only take a mo to take the door off and clamp it in a stand. With the 3" locks, you'll still need to drill out the slot to deepen it as the trend router bit isn't quite long enough. At this stage, you'll only be drilling out the core which is a lot softer so quick and easy. You'll also need to chisel the faceplate rebate square as it'll have rounded corners.
    The trend jig has about 10 templates for various size locks and 4 for the face plates. The jig has magnets, so they're held firmly in place.

12. jeznotts

jeznotts Member

hi, as joiner john says use auger bits, and overlap. i have seen these drilling rigs but i still fit my locks the traditional way, and i have done so for a long time and i can do it proper fast too, and they fit perfectly as for them being tight i just select the auger bit that is just wider than the locks main body but of course narrower than the face plate! ps always use a stanley knife for cutting out the vertical sides of the face plate, it really leaves a perfect fit!

13. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Thanks jez

I will look into auger bits. Any sets you recommend?

14. mark cobell

mark cobell New Member

all right me ole chip fat need some chippies for a job i got start January interested £35.00 per hour 2nd fix on a pub in central london 10 hour days 7 days a week for 3 weeks cash in hand