fitting new purlin

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Juliouno, Jul 29, 2014.

1. Juliouno

Juliouno New Member

Hi,
    I am installing a new purlin in my roof as opening up the loft to a bigger room. Got steel RHS purlins (bloody heavy), need to bed it into the wall both ends 100mm (4"),on a padstone. What is the technique for actually getting the purlin into place with 4" sunk in either end, without going through the party wall to the neighbours place (which wouldn't be popular). Because the wall is in the way of being able to slide it in to place.
    Cheers

2. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Are in a terrace then, neighbours either side.

If so are the party wall two separate skins or one solid wall.

If two seperate skins you will need to set the pad stone on one side, on the other side you will need to remove quite a lot of the wall under the level the pad stone will be, this allow you to angle the steel into place, then prop the steel up and rebuild the wall back up to the pad stone level then fit the pad stone.

3. Juliouno

Juliouno New Member

Yes we are on a terrace, neighbours either side. Party wall agreement in place.

It is a solid wall, 1 brick thick i assume, it is in english garden wall bond (3 rows of stretchers, 1 row of headers etc etc). The stretchers aren't a problem, should be able to take them out alight. But taking out the headers will mean it goes through to the neighbours property...

So not exactly sure of the best solution.

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

I'm amazed you are allowed for it to only have 4" (100mm) bearing, that is half of what's normally required.