Fitting Recessed Light - Wiring Question

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by tomosap, Jun 20, 2017.

1. tomosap

tomosap Member

I'm trying to fit a recessed light into a spot which has a standard ceiling rose fitting.

The recessed light just takes two wires, live and neutral, but the light that's there has a lot more than that. I've attached a photo of the current light wiring, so wondering what to do with the spare wires? If it helps, there's an extractor fan next to the fitting out of shot.

Thanks,
    Tom

Attached Files:

2. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Time to open the yellow pages. A decent handyman will get the job done for £75

3. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

What's above that ceiling rose and access ? I.e. 1st floor / loft / other

By recessed light you mean like a downlight ?

4. okee

okee New Member

The two wires (blue and brown) coming down to the ceiling rose are the ones you'll connect to your new light fitting.

The other wires you see are connected up in different blocks. They run the circuit to your other rooms/lights. You want to retain those connections by transferring them to a new junction box that you can place up into the ceiling void - typically someone would use standard connectors in a chocbox. Wago connectors make it even easier, especially for a newbie.

Before u do anything make sure u have space for ur recessed fitting as the standard ceiling roses are normally screwed into a joist.

You can easily google basic electrical principles so you have a better understanding of what you're doing.

5. tomosap

tomosap Member

So this light is in the downstairs cloakroom, so underneath a landing.

I did think about getting some sort of junction box to maintain all the connections, but I thought that lighting followed a spur pattern as opposed to a ring.

I'd make sure there was the required space up there before fitting the light. I'll look into those wago connectors, cheers!

6. terrymac

terrymac Screwfix Select

you also have to make sure that the fitting is not surrounded by insulation if it is going into the ceiling void ,you have to ensure adequate ventilation .is your new light fitting mains voltage or low voltage ? double insulated ? can you take pic ?

7. Bazza

Bazza Screwfix Select

You aren't going to be able to put the downlight where the old light is.
    99% of them are screwed to a wooden joist, or a noggin. You light would need to go in an open space in the ceiling void, and that light position isn't one of them.

Take the light back and buy yourself a nice light that screws on to the suface of the ceiling.

seneca and terrymac like this.