Fixing blind to uPVC window frame

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by Smiths, Apr 24, 2007.

1. Smiths

Smiths New Member

I've recently purchased a wooden venetian blind to fit myself.

The blind is to be fitted into the window recess, but the window is uPVC and the window recess - sides and top lintel are covered in uPVC too.

I'm just wondering if it's ok to screw into it - and if so, which screws/fixings would be best to use?

Any advice or suggestions would be gratefully received,

Thanks, Lyndsey

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I've never tried to fix anything to uPVC but have you thought of gluing a wooden batten to it with silicon, leaving it to cure, and then fixing the blind to that. I did this to tiles in my bathroom but that was a light cloth blind. You could give it a try and if it fell off nothing lost. I just worry that if you screwed anything to the uPVC and then at a later date you wanted to change it you would never be able to fill the screw holes.

3. Slimes

Slimes New Member

You can very easily screw into the window, I sometimes use a sharp plasterboard screw to start the hole off, saves drilling a pilot hole.

You could also drill through the cloaking at the side, then use a masonry drill into the wall.

I'd use the window, and white silicone would cover any holes in future if necessary.

HTH, Simes.

4. > I'm just wondering if it's ok to screw into it - and if so, which screws/fixings would be best to use?

of course you can screw into the window...but you're gonna wreck it for the future

5. starlight tiles

starlight tiles New Member

buy the brackets and top fix it to head of lintel.don't screw it to windows bud,it's poor.

6. Allblinds

Allblinds New Member

I would only fix to uPVC in a situation where there is no other option, which is extremely rare. You WILL live to regret it in the future should you wish to change. I suggest that if you do the fit as you intend, fit a very good quality blind that will stand the test of time to save having to change the blind due to deterioration.

7. Mr Kipling

Mr Kipling New Member

Like already advised, top fix into the reveal. That way you can bring the blind forward enough to clear any handles.
    Failing that a 1.5mm pilot hole and a no.8 screw will fix into the UVPC nicely. Set the drill to a low torque when screwing and finish tightening by hand.

If the window reveal has a metal lintle then a 3.5mm drill is required to take a standard no.8 screw. No need for a self tapper. You'll have to pre drill the plaster with a masonry bit first to ensure you keep a good edge on the HSS bit.