Flex/crimps

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Coloumb, Jul 22, 2015.

1. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Guys - I have "issues" with terminating flex into terminals. I've never liked doing it as it makes me feel upset and confused. And it's just extra hassle and grief in my life that I tell thee, I could well do without at the moment. In short, it keeps me awake at night and I can't be having that, not with my delicate constitution. Oh no.

I've seen recently some appliances come with a sort of metal crimp over the flex which is a shed load easier to terminate than just the bare flex. Does anyone know where I can get some and the tool to do the crimping with? What would be an added bonus would be if there is a crimp that can accommodate two flex's at the same time.

Also No swearing in your replies please. No one needs to hear language like that thank you very much. Turning the air blue with your effing and blinding.

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

I usually just solder the ends of the flex. It gives the screw something to bite into without unduly damaging the flex. A gas powered soldering gun could be tried. Obviously bending the flex next to the soldered part should be avoided but this would apply equally to a crimped joint. The only small crimps I can see online are for jewellery making.

3. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hmmmm 4073 valves etc have tinned flex ends and they go in the terms beautifully

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I don't know whether to take you seriously here Col or whether you're trying to compete with the "living in a tent how do I unearth myself " post! Anyway, if serious, bootlace ferrules are your answer and you can just squeeze them with pliers so that they stay on the flex until you do the terminal screw up.

FatHands likes this.
  5. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

I altered some wiring for an alarm panel yesterday, one of the old Optima 4 zone ones about 30 years old. every wire end had one of these on it as it went into the terminal.

[​IMG]

you wouldn't get that nowadays

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Bootlaces crimps. I worked as an industrial control panel wirer for a few years, every wire had to have a crimp on the end! Still got the crimpers and a few crimps...come in handy sometimes.

7. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Ferrules. A proper ferrule crimper is expensive, but you can slip a ferrule on and screw down directly into the terminal to crimp it.

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Wrap a bit of tinfoil round it.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

No need for that, the crimps are so soft just a nip with the pliers is all that's needed, the terminal screw does the rest.

11. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

About the only time I use them is on the white earth lead on rcbo's.

12. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

Proper ferrule crimpers are nearer £100!

13. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

Well we have kept the swearing down but now I'm more confused than evero_O so may choices....

14. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

what options you looking at Col?

15. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

They are more than adequate for what is required...the odd crimp now and again. They are ratchet crimpers and will do the job for not silly money. If you're doing hundreds every day...like I used to, then yes, buy the best. You wouldn't buy a full set of snap on tools just to repair your push bike.

Also, why bother using bootlace crimps or any crimp for that matter, if you're not going to crimp them on properly with ratchet crimpers.

I used to wire big control panels that controlled plant, robots etc. I built them up from scratch, drilling and tapping the back plates for all the trunking, DIN rails etc. They often had 110, 240, 3 phase inside with miles of cable in 1, 1.5, 2.5, 4, 6, 8, 10, 12 mm etc, rows upon rows of contactors, plc's, tx's, terminal blocks, every wire was labelled each end, crimped not just placed over a cable and tightened by the screw in the terminal. If Id have done that, i would have been kicked straight off the job even though it would have saved a lot of time. Also, from a periodic maintenance point of view, I would go into factories in shut down checking panels to make sure there were no loose terminal screws and crimps!

Btw, you can get bootlaces crimps for 2 cables side by side, although you can often get 2 cables into the next size up crimp.

16. Coloumb

Coloumb Screwfix Select

It looks like bootlace ferrules are the answer but for the cost it's not worth it for the little work I do. I think I'll go with the solder tinning suggestion.

Cheers for help guys!

17. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Surely it's quicker to just shove the cable into the terminal and screw it up ?

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

18. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

You're right Handy, double it over and "bung it in"!

19. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

How did we get back to my sex life o_O:confused:

CGN likes this.
  20. Teki

Teki Screwfix Select

Hi Paul,

I used to do this, but realised after reading on various forums online that the wire can work loose due to compression from the screw on the solder.

Here is a discussion on Stack Exchange about it:

http://electronics.stackexchange.co...crewed-in-to-a-chocolate-block-terminal-strip

This is a reply from one of the thread's contributors:

wassupjg likes this.