floor heating flow rate?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by clear as mud, Dec 18, 2007.

1. clear as mud

clear as mud New Member

i have a floor heating system that will not balance the temp in the flow and return and i think this is causing the boilers intenal overtemp stats to shut it down on 4 minute cycles. there are 2 pumps in the system and both are set to max the room stat are all calling for heat the boiler is live but keeps shutting down. i can get a better temp balance on flow and return when the other circuits are also running (towel rads x3, plus hot water). have bled the boiler and return lines it does not appear to be air related.
    suggestions please?

2. mains changer

mains changer New Member

how about slowing the pumps right down to give the floor chance to absorb the heat if the water is fired around too fast then the boiler return pipe stat will shut down the boiler.

3. clear as mud

clear as mud New Member

that would make sense if the return was getting hot but this was not the case. this fault was reported to me by the plumber who installed the boiler and floor system, but it now appears that it is no fault at all. the floor mainfolds (flow and return) have their own pump with a mechanical thermostatic valve. this valve has been shutting off the incoming hot feed to the mainfold when it reaches pre set temp. as this vavle is mechanical only it is not capable of shutting the 2 part valve or boiler off. Hence floor flow mainfold reaches temp boiler and pump now running against shut thermostatic valve.
    not the best system surely?