Floor joist question any help would be great

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by antony1987, Jun 18, 2014.

1. antony1987

antony1987 New Member

The joists are 75mm x 160mm and the room span is 11'5" spaced about 600mm.

I'm looking to add 700lb of drywall to this ceiling and would like to know if there would be any problems ??

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Is it also a floor?

3. antony1987

antony1987 New Member

Yes

4. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Why are you adding this much material to your ceiling?

5. antony1987

antony1987 New Member

Soundproofing double drywall

6. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

have you checked your sums ? - that's over 300Kg - how much does a sheet PB weigh ? - 20Kg maybe ? - that's a lot of PB for room that's only 3 1/2m wide

it is a bowling alley ?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I don't have any span tables to hand and it is an unusual joist size and spacing so can't really say but it also may not be the best solution.

8. antony1987

antony1987 New Member

It's 12.5mm soundbloc @ 70 odd lb per sheet and I need to put up two layers for soundproofing

9. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

where did the need for two layers come from ?

for peace of mind you might want to either get the sound proofing or the capacity of your existing timbers professionally looked at (and calculated)

10. antony1987

antony1987 New Member

Would 75x160mm joists have the same strength as 2x8 anyone know?

11. antony1987

antony1987 New Member

I have a stc of 32 mass is needed

12. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

is that what's been calculated for you ?

13. antony1987

antony1987 New Member

Yes I need to put up at least 2 layers of drywall and just want to know if it would be safe to do so on 75x160mm joists spaced 24" with a span of 11'5"

14. Sean_ork

Sean_ork Screwfix Select

you can't just add another 300Kg + off the bottom of timber structure when the top loading is unknown - you need to get a proper structural assessment done - and while that's being done ask whoever has specified double skins of PB for ceiling sound reduction to look at the alternatives - there are plenty and they weigh a heck of a lot less that the current solution

15. joiner1959

joiner1959 Active Member

As Sean says 300kg is out of the question if the load above is unknown. I recently soundproofed a conference room using Soundblock, yes it is heavy but there are better alternatives than two layers. Have a look at some of the soundblocking closed cell foams that are available, much lighter and very effective.

16. fat nozzle

fat nozzle New Member

have you enough height to put a suspended ceiling in,this is a far more effective way of sound proofing,the more you drop it the better,but the minimum is about 7 to 8 inch

17. Mbile66access

Mbile66access New Member

18. Mbile66access

Mbile66access New Member

Help and advice please! I am building a Garage with an Office above. Span of the Garage is 6.2 metres length is 8.0 metres. What size joists should I use to form the upstairs floor?

Thanks

19. If you are building the garage then you should use attic trusses. End of.

20. Mbile66access

Mbile66access New Member

End of......one attic joist is how many metres from the other end?....and how far is one side from the other?.......and how far from top to bottom? Information rather than just throw away lines will be much appreciated please......end of.....this question!