Fluorescent light tripping RCD

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jim122, May 30, 2016.

1. Jim122

Jim122 New Member

Hi all,
    I have an almost brand new fluorescent light which worked fine when wired in Twin and Earth, but now the building has been upgraded to a metal CU, and the wiring has been changed from T+E to SWA. The new split load board also has a RCD where the previous one didn't. Since this new board has been installed, every time the light is turned on the RCD trips. I have tried putting the light's MCB on both the RCD side and the non-RCD side but wherever it goes the RCD trips. I have checked for trapped wires etc but can't see anything visually wrong. It is a HPF fitting.

Regards.

2. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

what was your insulation resistance test results for the circuit?

3. nffc

nffc Active Member

Hmmmmm!

4. Jim122

Jim122 New Member

I haven't got round to IR testing yet, I will do that tomorrow. Was just wondering if anyone else had stumbled upon this problem. Firstly I thought of putting it on a C type MCB but then I realised that it is the RCD that is tripping and not the MCB. Thanks.

5. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

I would link line and neutral and test to earth at 250 first then maybe proceed to 500.

J.K.Murphy likes this.
  6. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

So you changed the cable from T&E to SWA, changed the CU with no prior testing and wonder why itis tripping.

Kind regards

KIAB likes this.
  7. nffc

nffc Active Member

Making a lot of assumptions there aren't you?

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Nope.

Common pratice to do tests before changing cu, etc,as it will throw up any faults,then if you have a fault afterwards, then it's your cock up somewhere.

Sometime old school ways are best...

Last edited: May 30, 2016
  9. Bazza-spark

Not making any assumptions. Read post 1

No prior testing, no post testing. Swaps from RCD to NO rcd at random then wonders why it doesn't work.

Hasn't got a clue.

Not the light at fault its the workmanship.

Kind regards

KIAB likes this.
  10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Neutral and earth wrong way around in light unit?

11. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

i agree with what everyone else has said about energising a potentially dangerous installation not in compliance with BS7671 but if there are multiple lighting circuits it could be a matter of a borrowed neutral.

12. Bazza-spark

Again, why would you change the cable from T&E to SWA for a light fitting? Or am I misreading something?

Nuts???

kind regards

13. J.K.Murphy

J.K.Murphy New Member

Insulation Resistance test the cable. Get the reading and go from there if it isn't compliant then that should be your problem if it is within regulations then simply carry on the next tests. In fairness after fitting the new C/U there should of been a EICR completed which would identify any faults before energising.

14. TP&N

TP&N Active Member

Neutral and earth wrong way around ? or neutral in the wrong bar in the C/U

15. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select