Flushing WC causes air & water up through bath plug hole?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Duck & Cover, Jul 21, 2012.

1. Duck & Cover

Duck & Cover New Member

Hi folks,

I live in a house with 3 toilets, One main, one in the en-suite/Shower room upstairs and a WC downstairs. Today I noticed that when I flush the WC in the main toilet upstairs air and a small amount of water comes up through the Bath plug hole.

I guess you would call it a standard layout for a main bathroom, all pipe work is hidden behind the wall. [​IMG]

Now.., the main toilet is never used, as I live here alone I always use the others. But I can say with certainty that it was not like it 6 weeks ago when I was doing some painting in the main bathroom, I have lived here for 10 years and not had this problem before.

When the WC is flushed, the water raises to a level just under the rim, [​IMG]

Air and some water comes out of the bath tub plug hole..... [​IMG]

before the water in the WC returns to what I would call its 'normal' level. [​IMG]

First thougths were a blockage? but as I say the main bathroom is 'Never' used. There are no foul smells and neither of the other toilets have the same problem, I hope the pics help to explain the problem.

Would appreciate your thoughts

Thanks in advance.

2. hibeealex

hibeealex Member

Well your 1st thought is correct, there is a blockage in the main bathroom waste pipe work, the reason its not affecting the other toilets is because its pretty near the main toilet and not the main stack, get yourself a "plunger" and flush the main toilet then when its got plenty of water in it start plunging it, I think it will clear pretty easily. and nice photo's

3. D&C, do all the loos share the same vent soil stack? Is the a cover on the top of it (them)?

4. Exactly what happened to me a few weeks ago. Lifted the manhole outside and it was blocked.
    Rodded it out, hey presto, sorted.

5. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I too have 3 toilet's in my house (or the kitchen sink, washbasin and bath. as the missus calls them ) She asked me if I could stop going to the toilet in the shower when I'm having a shower. I told her all blokes do that. She replied, "Not all blokes leave skid marks on the tiles though."

6. Crowsfoot

Crowsfoot Screwfix Select

I'm affraid It's a sign of old age JJ !

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

"..doing some painting.."

8. Spooner

Spooner Administrator

Lucy, I've known you over six years & you still don't have a f..ny, so don't you take the moran high ground with anyone Mrs/Mr!!!

9. "...Rodded it out..."

snigger