foundation on rocky terrain

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Horsmonden, Nov 25, 2016.

1. Horsmonden

Horsmonden New Member

Hi,
    (I'm completely new to building, so my apologies for very basic questions).
    I want to build a garage at the end of our garden. The site has been cleared and dug until the digger hit rock (the site is already low in the ground).
    I want to build block walls to make a concrete flat roof garage . But I don't know if I can build the foundations straight over the rock bed or if I need to brake the rock further deep to make a trench.

(Wall 2.5m tall, 9m x 6m to be build with grey brick 20mm wide).

Any help much appreciated.

2. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Building Control would give a pukka answer, but rock ain't gonna move so I would say put the foundation straight on it.

3. Horsmonden

Horsmonden New Member

Thank you David. Pukka answer means a hard time?

4. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

I don't know to what extent Building Control would need to be involved given this is a garage, have you looked into this?

How deep is the rock below ground level and what depth would you be otherwise digging down to?

5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Again, as mentioned in other threads by myself, 'DYNAMITE'. See if Screwfix will stock it for you. If you find any Gold i want 30% :cool::p

6. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Rather than actual foundations, how about laying a raft over the rocks.

7. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Good thing about a raft is that if the area floods at least it will float! o_O

Joe95 likes this.
  8. Horsmonden

Horsmonden New Member

It is an agricultural building in agricultural land.
    As per what depth... There is no simple answer.
    The build is next to a bank. The terrain is flat but one end ends in a steep bank. One of the walls will be next to the bank and the roof will levelled with the ground. plan.jpg
    There was an existing building and 3 of the perimeter walls are already there and have their own footings.
    I made a drawing to clarify. On the left is a section (so to speak) and a plan on the right. Access to the garage will be by a sloping ramp.

9. Horsmonden

Horsmonden New Member

That sounds quite sensible. It will also make the floor and level the small terrain inclination.
    What would be the depth necessary and does it need to be reinforced?

10. Horsmonden

Horsmonden New Member

Former farmers started building but never finished. Then they chucked anything they didn't want in, rouble, metal, tractor bits... untill they nearly fill it! I emptied and now I have a massive 25x7m hole in the ground! (Not good for a swimming pool unfortunately). So I want to find an economic way to reuse it.
    Thank you for the suggestions.

11. My question would be about the bank behind the new wall. what is to stop that moving if it wants to? Id want that wall fully anchored and strengthened etc.

Wouldnt matter if foundations were 2 inches or 2 feet if that bank moves, and water!

koolpc likes this.
  12. Horsmonden

Horsmonden New Member

The terrain is fairly flat and the bank sharp down. How would you anchor it or strengthen?
    To dig a trench you are digging on the rock bed.

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

I guess if the digger couldn't make any headway into the rock then it is proper stone not shale. Common sense would be to build on the stone, what some inspectors will allow is a concrete ring beam with rebar inside with uprights set into the stone and tied into the rebar.

If you are going to use "hollows" then extend the rebar from the foundations in to the wall. The crux is going to be getting the floor level above the DPC and water table

I would build two walls one to retain the bank with a gap before the garage wall and also some land drain with a sock leading to a soakaway

Deleted member 164349 likes this.
  14. Depends on the hill and soil. how much hill is there to restrain, is it mostly rock or a few feet of soil on top, etc.

Might be a case for some gabions? But any restraing wall is going to need to be anchored and reinforced. I like the idea of a restraining wall before the garage wall though

15. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

Leave building control out of it. An agricultural building more than twice its height from a building containing sleeping accomodation is building reg exempt. BUT

Don't call it a garage else your local planning office will say you are building a domestic garage on residential land, needs planning permission etc etc: whole heap of pain.

Having said that as the building is atricultural you will need to apply to planning, either for permission or permitted development if you have sufficient land (5 hectares i think)

16. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

And then when you sell the property you have a non compliant building

Joe95 likes this.
  17. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

18. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

19. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

what has livestock got to do with it? post #8 : it is an agricultural building on agricultural land according to the OP. I presume he means a garage for agricultural equipment...

so if i am following this, you suggest the OP gets building regs for garage: and then worried about selling a house without building regs? what about planning permission? a garage on agricultural land is change of use: 10 year risk of enforcement versus 1 on building regs?

20. Regardless of the potential use of the building he needs proper professional advice by somebody on site.

Doesnt matter what is in the building if the hill behind it is unsafe and not restrained.

How would your conscience be if the building was flattened by movement and anybody was in there.

This project is more involved than just the cheapest way of doing it