Freshen Up Window Boards

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by Al1980, Apr 24, 2024.

1. Al1980

Al1980 Member

Hi all, next job on the DIY list is to freshen up some window boards.

Please see images. Looking for advice on how best to go about it without causing myself too much pain.

As you can see the paintwork is looking a little grubby/chipped where the widow board (if that's the right name) meets windows. I have already removed a grubby bead of caulk.

Should i just fill the larger paint flakes, lightly sand the whole lot and then repaint? Or would you advise a full sand back to wood? Or is there another approach i haven't considered?

Attached Files:

2. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Can't help on the decorating aspect, but if the window board had been fitted correctly you would not have the problem where it meets the window. The board should have been slotted into the rebate on the window about an inch up.

3. Al1980

Al1980 Member

Interesting. So there shouldn't be a gap?

Windows fitted before my time.

Attached Files:

4. arrow

arrow Screwfix Select

Manufactured window boards have a tongue on them to slide into the rebate.

Al1980 likes this.
  5. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

Agree with arrow re joining . A bead or quadrant along the joint would tidy it up. I would fill the chips with 2 part filler, sand everything with some 180grit and then you can clean it down, caulk any cracks and paint, prime anything bare, undercoat and gloss/ satin finish coat.

Al1980 likes this.
  6. DIYY

DIYY Member

Get some Dulux Satinwood on it. Tremendous finish.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Dulux Diamond Satinwood as it will not age to a yellow tone.

DIYY likes this.