Fugi Silicone tool

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by James1gbu, Nov 12, 2016.

1. James1gbu

James1gbu Member

Been a plumber for many years and have always used the silicone and wet finger/fairy liquid method to obtain a pretty good finish.
    A fellow plumber i was talking to said im still in caveman era doing it that way and suggested a Fugi tool
    http://www.plumbworld.co.uk/fugi-ap...n=GoogleBase&gclid=CIDLid3ro9ACFdXNGwod958A2w

I must admit from looking at youtube vids and the different shapes and angles you can get with one of these they do look good and i guess not to expensive to buy.

Anyone here use these and do you still need to wet or apply some kind of liquid to this tool beofe you use like you would your finger or do use them as is?

2. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

yep, used em for years. lube with water with small amount of washing up liquid in

tore81 and KIAB like this.
  3. Pinteater

Pinteater Member

Takes practice and don't be lead by the trade vids demoed on perfect marble with zero flaws or obstacles. With practice, I feel they are worth the money.

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Well worth having.

5. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

All of the above. Takes practice and not always applicable to every job, but buy some and see what you think!

6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I've got similiar kit (just 3 pieces) but gives loads size beads and profiles, branded as Fugenboy

Used for years and they are brillliant. I'm only diy but confident to say get a really good finish when sealing

Problem with the wet finger method is likelihood of removing too much sili and ending up with a concave bead when sealing a 90 degree junction - and ur finger isn't much good at corners

As above, practice. Use a spray bottle with water and a dash of suds in it as ur lube. Plenty of paper towel, work clean and have a rubbish bag at hand to chuck away each piece of tissue as you use it - that way you don't end up smearing sili everywhere (we've all done it, eh) !

Once you decide what size/profile ur using, pump out a little sili and use the tool to see if uv applied enough / too much/ too little. You soon get used to the bead size to apply so it smoothes it nicely without masses of wastage

You can stop and start a bead without any viable join just by running over couple times with the profile. Sometimes you get a perfect bead then a little bubble in the sili- no problem - just add a blob of sili and tool over again

Have a bucket of soapy water also to hand and keep the profiles clean . A simple but amazing tool that actually works. But a kit NOW :)

tore81 likes this.
  7. diy_nixy

diy_nixy Active Member

They are brilliant. Ive had one for 15 years. Always in my toolbox. They give a brilliant finish. I have a version call "joint-boy" but its the same thing.

8. masterdiy

masterdiy Screwfix Select

£12.95 ebay free p/p.