Full rewire lighting question. No junction boxes.

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by PlumbyGas, Sep 11, 2017.

1. PlumbyGas

PlumbyGas Member

I am currently fully renovating property. I was a 16th edition sparky at one point mostly did full rewires and adding full new rings etc.

I have been asked to use a different sparky as he is someone's friend, old boy but seems nice enough. He started some first fix today and I noticed all his cables are going into the back boxes for the lighting. There isn't a single ceiling rose in the whole house I will add so LED spots everywhere. I would normally use a junction box, pull a feed to the light switch then a spur off to the lights as would my normal sparky.

This chap is going to terminate everything into those lever wire connectors and link out for a feed to the switch and then onto the light all of this will be contained inside the patress/back box.

Is this acceptable ?
    What method would you use?

Regards

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Sounds like he is using the ''loop in the box technique'' you know loop in the box and a cable/s going to light fitting/s - excellent, its what I do and saves hassle at light position/s. Surely people dont loop in t rose nowadays?

3. oddbod2

oddbod2 Member

Deffo +1 with JP.

4. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

United we stand Odd..;)

5. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

35mm metal back box is very good nay excellent..:)

6. oddbod2

oddbod2 Member

What's it they say.... great minds think alike or fools seldom differ :D

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

I am with the 'old boy' on this one. Feeding the switch makes life simpler for wiring up the spots, just SL and N looping round them all. Neutrals are joined in the back box. This isn't to do with any particular edition of the wiring Regs. its just a way of doing it. If you are always using jb's then take a tip from this guy, he seems to know what he is doing. :)

leesparkykent likes this.
  8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

He's doing a pukka job. Leave him to it!

leesparkykent likes this.
  9. leesparkykent

leesparkykent Well-Known Member

As above...It's far better to feed the switch than some JB that could be hidden behind a random down light that you have to go hunting for in the event of a fault.

10. PlumbyGas

PlumbyGas Member

Thanks very much for the replys.

The property is handed over to a charity after completion and has an a nightmare of an inspection process for everything! so needed to make sure that it is perfectly acceptable and most importantly not out of the norm of working process.

Regards

11. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Can someone please link to a wiring piccie so I know what you'll talking about o_O

12. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

Doubt I can do that in my place as have metal conduit going down to the light switches about 20mmin diameter I would guess and would struggle to get 3 cables through it.

13. Sparkielev

Sparkielev Screwfix Select

I used to to wire in loop in loop out at the lights but for the last few years been going to switch it easier especially for testing but then I suppose it depends on the job and routes

14. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

With the demise of ceiling roses and pendants, this method has become more popular, nothing wrong with it, I use it often, just need a deep box and tidy wiring.

15. leesparkykent

I remember watching a sparks on a job struggling to get his head around an intermediate switch that was fed :D

16. PlumbyGas

PlumbyGas Member

Thanks for all the reply guys

17. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

Always wire it in 3C+E

Even better flexibility

18. leesparkykent

Wire the lot in 3C+E?