Fully pumped system HW 2-way valve closes and pump stop

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by tellme_why, Aug 19, 2017.

1. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Hi all,
    My system is fully pumped with two 2-way valves, open vented, coil cylinder, Boiler Potterton 50e and thermostat potterton EP2002. Page 316 of this link shows my system functional layout:
    https://www.pearsonschoolsandfecoll...FreesamplechapterPlumbing/Level2_PLUMB_SB.pdf

The system CH works fine, when I slide the thermostat switch the CH valve opens and the pump starts. The Boiler flame starts and water get hot.

The HW system does not work well, resulting in cold showers.
    This is what happens step by step:
    1. I switch on HW in manual mode in the thermostat EP2002 which is sited in the airing board.
    2. The HW 2-way valve motor runs (typical gear noise) and valves open
    3. Pump starts
    4. Pipe connected to Cylinder coil start getting hot.
    5. However after few second the pump stops and the valve goes to rest position and closes.

I have checked the cylinder thermostat and looks fine.

I think the root cause may be:
    1. Some problem with Boiler thermostat stopping the pump
    2. Some problem with air in the piping (unlikely)
    3. Some problem with the 2-way valve switches
    4. Problem with the Potterton thermostat/controller.

Any idea/suggestion?

Many thank

Read more: https://www.diynot.com/diy/threads/...ve-closes-and-pump-stop.487508/#ixzz4qEoSOHPN

2. The EP2002 is a programmer/timer and not a thermostat (since you seemingly understand a fair bit about your system, I thought it best to say :) )

Anyhoo, looking at the potential root causes:
    1) Problem with boiler 'stat. I can't see it being this since the boiler should be working in exactly the same way for CH and DHW - it is switched on by the 2-port valve, and that's that. If the boiler were to overheat for any reason, it would also do it for the CH.
    2) Air in pipe? Unlikely, as you say. It is pumped, so air should be pushed along out of the way. Also you could expect noises like banging and thumps if it were air. And air wouldn't make your valve close.
    3) Problem with DHW 2-port valve? Possibly. It would, I guess, have to be an issue with the synchro motor - for some reason it stops being powered, so the return spring closes the valve automatically and this in turn shuts power off to the pump and boiler.
    4) Prob with programmer? Possibly. For some reason it stops sending a signal to the valve.
    5) Cylinder 'stat? Possibly.

The best test device would be a meter, to check how far the switching power is getting - do you have a wiring centre?.

Things I'd try, tho'. On DHW setting, after the valve has turned itself off, try turning the cylinder 'stat up and down beyond the 'click' positions - see if that provokes a response. If it doesn't, then leave it high, around 65oC+

Then try manually opening the DHW 2-port valve - there should be a lever on its end. Listen to the noise as you move it and listen for a 'click' at the end of travel. Any response from pump/boiler?

That basically leaves the EP2002 - has that stopped sending an 'on' signal. You really need a test meter or possibly a test screwdriver for this.

3. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Thank you very much for your advice Devil..
    While waiting for Screwfix to open to get a multimeter and test screwdriver I tested the system which started from cold this time.
    -1. I switch on HW demand in the timer: HW valve start to run - gear noise and open; pump starts and boiler starts.
    -2. Since none hot water taps are open the system becomes hot quickly.
    -3. After one/two minutes the pump stops and the HW Valve closes, the boiler also stops. All dead.
    -4. I increase the cylinder thermostat temp. from 60C to 80C for test -- nothing happens. All still dead.
    -5. This time I switch on the CH in the timer and nothing happens.. pump does not start. Never noticed this before.

Now from all the above it seems the problem is related to system getting hot, hence I would exclude it's a timer issue.
    Maybe the valve body getting hot upset the valve in some way, but this wold not explain why this morning even the CH switch does not make the Boiler start.
    This would point towards either the boiler or the Cylinder thermostat?

One more thing; the boiler has been kettleing for some time now; I tried to drain air but seems there is none in the uppermost rad and in general all rads.

4. Nothing specifically jumps out at me.

The boiler kettling suggests it isn't shifting its heated water fast enough, so it may be the overheat 'stat inside tripping out (does your boiler have any 'status' display?)

But, if the boiler tripped out, that shouldn't shut the valve or stop the pump (unless they are wired differently to the norm).

The sequence of control is usually: Programmer says 'ON'. This sends a live switching signal to the VALVE. The valve opens and trips a microswitch which then sends a live switching signal to both the pump and boiler.

So, if you - say - switched off the boiler by its own panel switch, the valve and pump should still run whenever the prog tells it to.

Perhaps your system is wired differently? Perhaps the prog controls the boiler first, and the boiler then controls the valves and pump? In which case a tripping overheat stat would perform these symptoms.

We need some plumbers on here!

5. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

.. got a multimeter .. it looks like it's not the boiler but rather the valve.
    The multimeter says 240V on the honeywell Blue and brown wire file:///home/fra/Downloads/Wiring-Guide-Issue-16%20(2).pdf see page 4, but the little motor is in rest position... this is a fault? When blue and brown are live the little motor should run and keep the valve open I suppose...?

6. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

.. if it's the valve it's then terrifying the idea of changing it.. it's very difficult to reach. The box says "Honeywell 9243" but google can't find whether I can replace the head without draining water or not..:( .. I think I need to have a word with the plumber that some time ago changed the cylinder..I remember asking.. "let's do some preventive maintenance and change the valve - it looks tired -" .. he said no worry, it's working well .. :(

7. Yes, if there's power going to that wee motor, it should be spinnin'.

Why didn't the CH come on, tho' - that's a bit concerning.

Blimey, little info on that valve - that must be an oldie. If so, that would suggest it doesn't have a replaceable head (Honeywell's newer 3-port valves have an obvious raised dimple on the TOP of the metal cover towards one end, and that apparently indicates it does have a replaceable head. Is yours dimpled (ooh-er, missus).

But, if the valve has failed, then that would show your symptoms. I guess it's the most likely candidate.

You CAN do this! And replace the WHOLE valve :)

Put some photos on here of your pipework and wiring centre, and we'll see if you get to a point where you'll feel competent to try it.

Partially draining down a system isn't the nightmare it might seem (tho' it can become one...)

8. sam spade

sam spade Active Member

Is there a small bump on the metal cover of the Honeywell valve? If there is, the actuator (that's the metal box containing the motor etc) can be replaced without draining down. You can also replace the just synchron motor, if that's the only problem. Your meter will tell you where the fault is.

"9243" sounds like a date code: 1992, week 43!

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  9. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

Thanks Devil..
    Here is a picture of the piping.. looks scary to me!.. so many things can go wrong and water leaks could stain the new carpet... looking for plumbers now.. I am replacing both of them, just in case and also taking the chance to install backup electric immersion heater since will have to drain the system ..

Attached Files:

10. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

thanks Sam :).. I will change it all anyway.. cannot risk wife left with no hot water :)

sam spade likes this.
  11. heatyman

heatyman Well-Known Member

The synchronous motor has already been replaced, and judging by the wire colours, it is one of the 'cheapies' that probably has nylon gearing that does not last long. This is the easiest to change; put into manual position, undo 1 screw and twist the other bracket out of the slot, remove motor, cut wires, connect new motor and replace motor in valve. Just be sure to use a genuine Synchron motor available from our hosts about £16.

12. tellme_why

tellme_why Member

..good point heatyman.. the motor seems pretty new .. I have been impatient .. could have saved 85 quid.. well 190 as I bought two :(:confused:

13. The head on the other valve has the 'dimple' :). So if you didn't want to get a plumber out yet, or didn't want to drain down the system, then it is an easy DIY job to replace the motorhead.

Having done just this a week ago on a 3-porter, a few tips should you chose to go ahead...

Cut the power!

The whole top metal box which contains the motor and switches and everything is secured by only 2 screws to the actual brass valve part - have a surf on t'net to see where these screws are. (There's a screw holding the motor close to one of these screws, so don;t get confused...)

Once these two screws are removed, the whole 'head pulls off - give it a good tug and wobble.

Leave the wiring connected until you've done this (in case you panic and decide to stop...)

Once the head is off, open the lid of the wiring centre - take some photos, and also write down the colours to each terminal - 4 colours and the earth.

Ok, BIG TIP (from Lucia Fermi :( ) - when you are ready to swap the wires over, CUT the 4 wires inside the centre a couple of inches from the terminal. That will leave a couple of inches of each colour still connected so you can't possibly go wrong! One at a time undo a terminal, pull out the old wire end and fit the new. Repeat...

To fit the new head, look inside the motor spindle slot to see how it's aligned - judge how that matches the spindle coming out of the valve body. A tip I saw on t'net is to pull the manual lever all the way against the spring, position the head on the spindle, and jiggle it on - it may need a firm push, and oscillate it slightly each way as you press it on. Release the manual lever as you do this and the spindle slot will rotate and you'll hopefully get it to match the valve spindle. If it doesn't seem to press on, pull the lever again and release.

It WILL go on!

14. The Gas man

The Gas man New Member

Personally, before doing any of these things i would check that wire coming frome the Synchron motor to the brown (live) of the valve, as it looks like when previously changed, was not secured properly. Might save you a lot if time. Would explain poss why valve opens for short time then closes again, generally when the motor has gone it doesn't work at all.

Secondly, the easiest way to deal with the wiring is to cut the cable (after dead testing it) outside of the wiring centre about half way along the cable, use a purpose designed cable joiner, then all you have to do is match up the colours. Make sure you switch off the system at spur and not clock, as Gray or orange will be permanent live.

Lastly, if you can help it, I would avoid draining the system, sounds like an old boiler and if it kettles there is probably some sludge floating about. If you drain you may block the cold feed and not be able to refill. That will be a nightmare.
    Hope some if this is useful.

Good luck

15. Tricky Dicky

Tricky Dicky Screwfix Select