Fumes off Kingspan/5.5mm ply

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by chippie244, Jun 6, 2007.

1. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I had a job last week insulating and cladding the inside of a large, 4M x 3M x 2.2M, shed. I used 50mm kingspan between the studs and then clad with 5.5mm wpb ply, only now the client is complaining because there is an acrid smell in the shed and it irritates your eyes and nose. Also where I had 2 sheets laid on the grass it had burnt the grass.
    I've got the rep from Lawsons coming out on Monday but in the meantime has anyone come across anything like this before.

2. Bigwizzard

Bigwizzard New Member

I know Kingspan can pong a bit but this does sound excessive! Have you insulated a shed before with it? I would guess that the cause of the release of the gas is that the shed walls have been in direct sunlight and the heat has affected the kingspan.

This doesn't explain the dead bit of grass though! Have you got any off cuts left for the rep to take back for testing. Have you tried calling Kingspan direct?

3. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The dead grass was off the ply not the kingspan. I haven't used kingspan before but it seems to be a standard building insulation so I didn't think there would be a problem. I suspect the ply to be the problem but I use tons of the stuff and have never experienced anything like this.
    I have got offcuts of the ply and the client may have some from the kingspan.

4. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

The ply has soaked up moisture from the grass(even if it was a dry period) and is now drying out ie the fumes.

Use a couple of offcuts, lay one on the grass for a long period, then remove. Allow to begin drying, smell the damp and the dry piece. Note the difference.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

5. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Hey Chippe

I do a lot of Sectional Garage lining jobs using 9 or 6mm Ply , Studwork with 50mm Kingspan within , Over 10 in the last 2 Year no Probs whatsoever , Did you leave the stud off the Floor to get a bit of airflow etc ??

Lucky

6. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Only 2 sheets out of 18 went on the grass but with the weather we've been having it is likely the they were damp.

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Did you
    leave the stud off the Floor to get a bit of airflow
    etc ??

I'm not sure what you mean by this.

8. MechEng

MechEng New Member

Was it a very hot day when the ply was on the grass?

Last summer I did a similar thing to my brothers brand new lawn when building a shed....

I'd laid out the panels on the grass, I think the sun just heated up the wood so much it cooked the grass. The panels has only been laying there about an hour, but when I lifted them the tops of the blades of grass already looked like they were 2 day old clippings. Fortunately it was all OK after a weeks growth and a cut.

No idea ref. the fumes though.

9. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

It was a hot day and once the grass was cut it looked ok which is why the client thought it was a toxin in the ply. At least I'm getting to a credible reason why I haven't got to redo this job out of my own money.

10. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi chippie.

I think MechEng has it. Grass is surprisingly sensitive to heat - you'd think it could cope as it sits out there all day in the sunshine but, if you touch the grass, you'll notice it doesn't actually feel that warm - in fact the blades feel quite cool. I guess that's because it converts the energy it absorbs for its growing business. So, when a sheet of ply, or similar, is placed on top which does get pretty warm, it shouldn't be too much of a surprise that the grass suffers.

Warm damp ply can be a bit chemical smelly, but I think your customer is just getting a bit paranoid "oohmegawd it burnt the grass - what's it doing to my throat...". Kingspan too has a distinctive chemical smell.

I'd have thought the smell would have reduced a lot by now?

I'd be very surprised if there was anything wrong with the materials, although I guess it's always possible that preservative or something was spilt on it at some point!

I suspect it's perfectly normal tho'.

11. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Thanks for all your answers.
    I'm just off to see the client about another job now so I will pass on the information. He's one of my best customers so I really don't want to ** him off.
    Cheers, John.

[Edited by: admin5]

12. Lucky

Lucky New Member

Hello Chippie

What i`m trying to get over is this :-

The Garage /workshop is a single skin Building, During Winter the Panels absorb Moisture from Outside , so we fix the Studwork on Brackets/Plates off the Bolts which hold the panels together , We stand the Bottom sole Plate maybe 18mm off the Floor , when fixing Skirtings we a gain leave these slightly off the floor , To try gain some air-flow behind the Panels & Studding etc ... Clear ? , We also leave at Gap at the top between the Wall and the Ceiling , Not seen from inside the "Room" to enable a flow of Air from the Eaves as well.

Lucky

13. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Thanks Lucky, I see what you mean now but this is a custom built shed. Concrete slab base and stud and featherboard walls with a slightly sloped roof of 4"x2" covered in 1" OSB and roofing felt.
    John.

14. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

I will try to talk the client into building in more airflow but doesn't this counteract the insulation?

15. Svenwright

Svenwright New Member

Hi there Chippie.
    I've just finished me shed/studio and have the same smell that strings your eye and nose.
    I've done a ply lined timber frame with 70mm kings span in the walls and 100mm in the flat roof. 12mm ply on the outside walls and 9mm on the inside.
    I've painted the outside with deluxe Weathershield paint but I don't think that's it as there is also a breathable membrane behind the ply.
    It only seems to happen on sunny days.
    Your post is the only thing on the net I can find with the same problem.
    Did you come to a conclusion in the end.
    Any info would help as it's driving me nuts trying to work it out. Even spoke with kingspan (not much help but did say that the insulation wouldn't give off any fumes).
    Hope to hear from you.
    Many thanks.
    Sven.

16. I'm sure Chippie will be back with an update. It'll be fascinating to hear what the cause was in his case.

I suspect it is the ply as suggested above, and much less likely to be the Kingspan.

17. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Some people make a fuss over nothing.
    We had some honeycomb in a concrete wall recently and the customer brought out the rep from the concrete supplier.

A few weeks later the same companies lorries inside the building brought a section of the ceiling down. Which was expensive corrugated plastic.
    Exhaust from the lorries went up like a flue pipe instead of ground level exhaust and melted it.

Now he really had something to complain about.

18. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

The same rep since took a heat attack.

19. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Its good to have a customer though who will point out flaws. Even if they are minor.
    When I completed that job after pouring about 300 cube of concrete into it we had one slight single bow in the entire job in the final piece of formwork.
    Which was a set of concrete steps 12m long.

Of course I got it pointed out to me as a flaw. Not much I could do about it though.
    This customer paid for the job before it was finished btw.

20. Ryluer

Ryluer Well-Known Member

Which was £10k for 4 weeks work labour only for two workers (meself and the apprentice) and the bossman who never sets foot on site.
    Well except to accept the job and collect the cheque.