Fused 3 Pole Fan Isolator Switch

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Jitender, Jul 15, 2014.

1. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Just received my new fan isolator switch and thought I would upload it so others can see. It uses a grid like system with the 'Fused Unit Module' and '3 Pole Fan Module'

upload_2014-7-15_23-38-45.png

upload_2014-7-15_23-39-0.png

upload_2014-7-15_23-39-25.png

2. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

that looks good jit. i am on the phone at the moment so cant zoom in. is that from scalmore that stateit mentioned a while back?

3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Hi its from an electrical comoany called QVS.

FatHands likes this.
  4. FatHands

hiya,
    I think i've found it here?
    Do you get much stuff from them mate?

5. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Can't see how both line poles (permanent and switched) are likely to be fused there.

Far better to use an unswitched FCU feeding the bathroom luminaire, and then coming off that to your fan. Then both line poles are fused.

6. FatHands

Hi,
    Using something like the above, nothing stopping taking the fused supply to both "ins" on the isolator?

7. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

But, then you can't have one switched and one permanent.

8. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

You can if you go via the switch! The fuse module is essentially your FCU, just in the same faceplate.

9. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

It would get slightly crowded in the backbox though.

10. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

It's a shame they didn't make it with 2 fuses!

11. Lectrician

Not really. No different to looping in and out at a three gang switch.

12. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

Assuming T&E, and that this is not the end of the circuit, then there would be a loop-in and loop-out required, plus another to the luminaire, then a 3-core and earth from the luminaire and another to the fan. So 3 x T&E and 2 x 3-core & Earth.

Looping in and out of a 3-gang switch would only require 4 x T&E (assuming no two-way switching).

13. Lectrician

I don't call that alot at all. 35mm back boxes are pretty standard on lighting circuits these days. That's not even two 20mm holes worth.

14. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Concur Sen - ok fair nuff the perm will be fused, but what about the trigger? - must admit myself that I don't think its a good idea to fuse the fan, because if the fuse goes it is still leaving a live trigger - and bearing in mind this all originates from one circuit - I don't think it conforms to isolation regs myself. All ok though with a simple L + N to fan.

15. Risteard

Risteard Screwfix Select

I hate backboxes crammed full of cables. Probably why I hate looping-in at light switches unless necessary. Prefer 3-plate.

16. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Sorry for the late reply. I searched the net for a '3 pole fused switch and it led me here. They have sent me a catalogue and there seems to be quite a lot of stuff available it cost £4.99

FatHands likes this.
  17. FatHands

No problem - thanks for posting back. Yeah, they look good. Will bear them in mind for future orders.