Garage Conversion - Timber Floor

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Carlosfandango, Apr 3, 2014.

1. Carlosfandango

Carlosfandango New Member

Hi,

I am soon to convert my garage to a gym, and am wanting some advice with regards to the floor please. My plan is to lay another floor over the top of the concrete slab using a damp proof sheet, floor joists and then finally chipboard over the top.

I'm a pretty keen DIY'er so am confident I can do this myself but need some advice with regards to what size floor joists I should be using and also whether I can simply lay them directly onto the floor or do I have to have them floating above the slab. Also do I need to have some sort of ventilation provided under the floor as well?

Any help, advice received would be much appreciated.

Carl

2. Biochef

Biochef Member

Is the garage part of house , or at bottom of drive ?
    I've done a couple for friends most intergrated garages don't have insulation under slab garage at bottom of drive definitely won't I've always used damp proof sheet 1inch king span then put flooring on top of that it's only my personal opinion though , but if it's part of house and you want to convert to jym that's a whole different kettle of fish

3. Carlosfandango

Carlosfandango New Member

The garage is not part of the house, it's totally separate.

Currently the floor is a concrete slab and it appears to have some sort of plastic membrane underneath as I can see it at the ends near the wall poking up. I really would like to raise the floor a little so I can put in some insulation underneath and also route some electrics to the other side where I am going to build a stud wall to separate one side of the garage from the other.

My main question really is whether you would know what size floor joists I should be using and whether these can simply be screwed down to the concrete slab underneath?

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Bearing in mind you are placing the floor on a solid concrete floor the joist size is relatively immaterial and will depend on how high you wish to raise the floor.

I would cover the whole floor in a plastic membrane (1500 gauge), than a layer of insulation board (Celotex or similar), then make up a frame that suit the flooring boards you are using, this sit straight on top of the insurlation boards as floating floor, screw down floor boards, job done. :)

5. ashtreefarm

ashtreefarm New Member

Screwfix do a range of interlocking floor tiles for garage Gym's etc. (plus plenty others on the internet).
    You could create zones within the garage depending on your activities using different densities of mat and should you get bored you can quickly take them up and revert back to a garage.
    They will also have a good resale value.
    I would still put a damproof membrane underneath and you could create a simple frame direct into the slab to ensure no movement.