Garage Inspection Pit

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Garage Inspection Pit, Oct 4, 2007.

1. Hi
    Presently building 8m x 5m garage, I always planned to put an in inspection pit in it.
    Looking to make it watertight by using pond liner, reinforced concrete slab & walls, with additional waterproofing paint/bitumen inside & out.
    Intrinsic lightfittings to go in pit, no extraction, sump pump or electric points considered.

I'm nearly at the stage to commence the pit and considering if it may turnout to be an expensive damp/wet hole in the ground, or potentially cause structural problems due to potential water pressures. Clay soil ground conditions at site.

I would welcome any views to encourage or discourage building a pit. And an building technics/designs used to overcome problems.

2. big all

big all Screwfix Select

heeeellooo Garage Inspection Pit and welcome :D:D:D:D:D

i have the impression from somewhere that pits are no longer allowed in domestic situations
    so best to either check around local council ect or not say out

bet you spent ages thinking up you name ;)
    you can change it if you like ;)

big all

3. Swiss Tony

Swiss Tony New Member

I had B.Regs a couple of years ago to extend my house and that included a pit.

I didn't build it in the end due to the problems you mentioned, but what I will do is buy a car lift off fleabay so that I can still work beneath the car. About £500.

4. ProDave

ProDave New Member

I built a pit in my atached double garage 2 years ago and had no problems with BC, so they are still allowed. Well actually I don't think he ever saw the pit. He didn't bother inspecting the foundations (they were notified), and when he came for the completion inspection, there was a car parked over the pit.

Anyway, what I built was just a shallow pit, about 1 metre deep. Just deep enough for me to sit in with my head level with the floor. Makes jobs like an oil change so so much easier.

I lined it with 2 layers of heavy duty DPM. BUT it must have got a small puncture in it somewhere because unfortunately my pit does fill with water. It is only a very very slow leak. I only use the pit about once every 6 months and I can guarantee after that time I will find an inch of water in it, which I have to pump out. I then put a duck board down so at least I'm not sat on wet ground.

For the small amount I use it, I just tollerate that, but would be interested to know if there is an easy way to tank it from the inside?

If I were doing it again I would line it with something much more substantial, and I would form a sump pit in the floor (does that make sense) i.e a small area lower than the rest of the floor for any water to drain into and where you can stand a submirsable pump.

I must say that the ground we are on is very very poor draining, and we have a high water table. You may be more lucky and find you don't have such problems.

5. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Hi Gip.

So now you know the pros and cons - at least some of them.

I'm sure you've thought this through but, chust in case, some other drawbacks are: collection of poisonous fumes, collection of explosive fumes, falling in and breaking your neck, leg, arm, back, jaw, thigh, ankle* (and don't try and say it'll always be covered - when you take your car out for a test drive after fixing that suspension link, that's when your 5-year old daughter is sent out to the garage to tell you to come in for supper), being decapitated when your son drives off in the car whilst you are still working on it, etc.

But, if you must do it, waterproofing from the outside is the way to go. I'd use DPM - at least a couple of layers - instead of pond liner, and protect the outside with something as you back-fill.

* delete or add as appropriate - ie: when it happens

6. diyhopeful

diyhopeful Active Member

DA have you considered anti-depressants ?

:)

There must be some pro's in digging a pit in your garage.

Obviously, I can only think of one......

7. nigel

nigel Guest

My garage had a pit in it when I bought the house, always had a footof water due to being close to a river [water table only abouit 5 ft down, used a boat sump pump to clear it when I needed it. Was covered with heavy sleeper timbers but I removed and fitted steel electrical conduit rack welded together to form a lighter perforated cover which was strong but allowed pit to breath.It got very little use [unless you are a mechanic I would'nt bother]and filled it in when I replaced old concrete garage [pit swalled entire garage, roof and all ,cheaper than a skip]

8. devil's advocate

devil's advocate New Member

Diyhopeful, that list was with anti-depressants :(

9. J.T. Builders Ltd

J.T. Builders Ltd New Member

10. boris.b.barnstable

boris.b.barnstable New Member

Hi,

The inspection pit used to be a good diy solution for the garage due to the often limited height of the garage, and the fact that the old stlye 4 post lifts had the post with the hydraulic ram in it extending up very high...

But, with the now much better two posts lifts, and options when limited height is available, this must be worth considering. (You can also now get 4-posts that have the ram horizontally extending). Speaking as more of a mechanic than a builder, and having had the luxury of ramps for years, I would actually build the garage dimensions around the ramp, not the other way round! Previously mentioned H&S comments are definitly true!

Pits might be useful, but when working on suspension etc, ramps that allow 'free wheel' suspension are 150times easier! I can only remember one of the two main manufacturers of the two post lift - hefty lifts, sold through GGM i belive. The 'other' make is the more reknowned and probably better ramp.

11. ProDave

ProDave New Member

A mate of mine told me you can buy a GRP pit.

like this i think.

http://www.mech-mate.com/

I thought about sugesting sinking a GRP water tank into the floor. I don't know if they are still available, but I remember my dad (who was a plumber) had one about 3 feet deep and about 3 feet by 4 feet as a rain water butt.

That thing in that link looks a bit like a bath tub sunk into the ground!

The main use I have for my pit is DIY oil changes. So much easier that trying to reach under and find the sum plug or mess about with ramps.

I agree if you are into more serious mechanics a lift would be better, if your garage dimensions can accomodate it and you can afford it.

12. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How about a fibreglass or other moulded material one.

Like the ones you get from a pet fish store(apparently, they'll make one to your specification). Yes, a fish pond is what I'm on about. Not sure if they'll do one deep enough, but if they would, I'm sure you could bed it in a hole with sand, dpm and backfill the sides of the dpm with sand.

Just an idea.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

13. ProDave

ProDave New Member

How about a fibreglass or other moulded material
    one.

Isn't that what GRP is? Glass Reinforced Plastic :)

14. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

How about a fibreglass or other moulded material
    one.

Isn't that what GRP is? Glass Reinforced Plastic :)

I was rather thinking that you could get one made up(a pond) a lot lot cheaper than actually getting a 'proper' one.

I do think GRP is slightly different to fibreglass.

Mr. HandyAndy - really

15. ­

­ New Member

Blimey, all this trouble and expense just to do a few oil changes! Let's face it, that's about all you can do from a pit unless you like spending evenings looking at your exhaust system (oooer.....)

Just forget it and put the money you have saved into a good pair of ramps.

16. Hi

Thanks all for the input.

I am fully conversent with the risks of Pits and BC requirements.

Swaying towards saving time & money, will move on with build. Will look at other options once garage built.

PS. Low height in garage due to using existing trusses, so limited lift height. Don't really want anything fixed in place to reduce floor access/space anyway.

17. Tortex

Tortex New Member

I think that this could be useful

18. Insane for anyone to have a pit in their garage these days :rolleyes:

KIAB likes this.
  19. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Done a few over the years, but so old fashion nowadays & not needed.
    Know of a few houses which have pits in their garage & haven't been used in years.

20. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

I would hope that after 10 years he has already dug it out and using it.

Reality - probably a spammer trying to push their own products or website.

KIAB likes this.