Garage Wiring.....Electrician Advice required

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Wernert, Jan 18, 2016.

1. Wernert

Wernert New Member

Good Afternoon All,

I recently bought a new build house with a detached double garage.
    The garage was originally fitted with a single double socket and single hanging light in the middle.
    This was far from what I would require as the garage would be used for car in one side and workshop the other.

I've added 3 more double sockets (One at center of each wall) in the garage in a ring circuit and replaced the single hanging light with 3 x double T8 florescent tubes to give sufficient lighting. (Again looped the end back to the start to complete the ring circuit).
    Sockets are connected with 2.5mm^2 T&E solid cable
    Lights are connected with 1.5mm^2 T&E Solid cable

Power supply to the garage comes from a 13A fused spur in the utility and connects to a 13A fused switch in the garage using 1.5mm^2 armored cable.
    The fused switch is used to operate the lights in the garage.

The length of armored cable from the house spur to garage is circa 8 meters and all buried.

I contacted a local electrician to review and quote for putting a garage consumer unit in the garage. He mentioned that the current 1.5mm^2 armored cable is probably at the limit of supply for a double socket and light. He also mentioned it would not be recommended to fit a consumer unit with such thin cable and would want at least 2.5mm^2 or even 4mm^2.

From everyone's experience is 1.5mm^2 armored cable sufficient for supplying power to a double garage??
    If not, what size should ideally be used?

I also currently have a small tig welder in the garage for odd jobs.

My current load in the garage is:
    Lights
    Radio
    Motorbike battery conditioner
    Car battery conditioner
    Tig Welder
    Bench Grinder

Future plans are to expand backwards and build a workshop at the back of the garage so I will have a workshop and a double garage. Plan to run a compressor with air lines throughout the garage.

Thanks for any advice.

2. camels toe

camels toe Member

Trust your sparks. Would go with 4mm as a min.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Having a workshop, think about 3 phase supply:), best thing I did in my last workshop, picked up load of cheap 3 phase machinery.
    My old arc welder runs either 415v,240v, using it now on 240v 16A radial & still occasionally throw the trip, so annoying.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  4. sparky Si-Fi

sparky Si-Fi Screwfix Select

You sound like you have a lot of machinery you plan on installing later,so If your planning on upgrading, do it once and get your sparks to run in some 10mm on say a small 5 way board with RCBO's ,I would put a type C in for the welders circuit and for 8 mts thats no wedge whatsoever.

It also guarantees a good supply and the next thing a water supply might go out there with a sink (washing hands after welding) so your ADS is up to scratch as well

5. sparky Si-Fi

Thats crazy asking for the DNO to run in TP+N for a domestic garage, £££££££

Phil Hyde likes this.
  6. Wernert

Wernert New Member

Thanks for the info.
    I know my house build was rushed and have had plenty of issues.
    Main thing would be to see if the wiring is another thing they just rushed and used the minimum.
    So more interested from a qualified electrician view if they would consider 1.5mm^2 suitable for a power supply to a double garage.

7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It cost me just under £300, about 5 years ago, well worth the expense in my case, I picked up a 400v large pillar drill for £20, to buy similar in 220v would several hundred pounds or more, still used ocassionally, motor now changed to 220v.

8. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

I would expect for a "normal" garage it's fine, perhaps a couple of extra sockets would not have been unreasonable.
    For what you are looking at, now and in future. I would say it may be a little more than a normal garage load for the majority.

9. MikeM

MikeM New Member

It comes down to the current carrying capacity of the cable. 1.5mm is not suitable for sockets although technically if you did calcs and installed a suitable mcb nothing is stopping you from doing it. You would be limited though as a 6amp supply won't give you much to play with.
    As a minimum a 2.5mm which will give you 16amps but 4mm would be better. It all comes down to what is going to be running in there. If it's occasional use of a drill and a couple of battery chargers 2.5 will be fine.
    I

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

1.5mm SWA would be fine on a 16A breaker, possibly even 20A VD permitting.

11. Bazza-spark

Bazza-spark Screwfix Select

Lights should be a radial not a ring.

As previously stated, 1.5mm is inadequate. Go with what your electrician says and tell him about your projected plans so he can size accodingly.

Kind regards

12. Wernert

Wernert New Member

Thanks for the info.

For a better understanding, why should lights be on radial and not ring? Currently wired in ring, but can easily remove the cable the loops back to turn into radial.

13. spinlondon

spinlondon Screwfix Select

Are you sure it's a ring, or just a point on a radial?

14. Wernert, don't worry about having 'ringed' your lighting circuit. If you are confident you have done the work to the required standard, then it's fine.

A 1.5mmT&E supply cable is, tho', nuts. And the builder must be well chuffed with the £ew squid he saved with this astonishing cost-cutting exercise...

Yes it's fine for one 13A socket and a single, solitary bulb, but not for much more. He's a cheapskate.

If you see him, thump his once, solidly in the face.

And then kick him in t'nuts.

I doubt he was generous enough to lay the cable in a duct so's you can easily pull through a larger size? No, I didn't think so.

Kick him twice in the nuts.

You will need a much larger supply cable - you know that now, don't you?

So, the builder did nothing technically 'wrong' by using only 1.5mm cable 'cos he only fitted one socket, but what a complete git.

As said above, talk through with yer sparkie all your future plans, and he will give the best recommendation. If he says "I'd go for 6mm (or even10mm) to comfortably cover all future eventualities..." then nod and say "Cool."

Because you don't want to be changing that supply cable again.

15. Wernert

Wernert New Member

Lights are wired as follow:

Fused switch (Power) to light #1
    Light #1 to Light #2
    Light #2 to Light #3
    Light #3 to Light #1

As for cable size.
    Thanks. And not sure if it makes a different, but the builder fitted a double socket, not single in the garage.
    Im gona try my luck and have contacted them saying that 1.5 is really not adequate for a garage and see if they will upgrade. If not, then I will start digging to lay a new cable. Probably see if I can feed it directly into the consumer unit in the house to have its own circuit.
    Will be a bit of a pain as I will probably have to cut a large section out of the downstairs bathroom wall to run the cable and reach the outside of the house, but probably better in the long run.

My consumer unit has 4 blanked slots, so use one of them for garage.

16. I fear he can legitimately say 1.5mm is enough for a double socket plus light.

But what a cheapskate...

Yes, you'd want to run the new cable to its own MCB in the house's CU. And RCD it too, but I don't know where - probably in the garage's own CU.

Your sparky will sort all that for you.

17. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

18. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

A detached double garage is sold by a builder as just that. If the buyer wanted it wired as a workshop then the thicker cable , garage CU and multiple lights and sockets would be an extra to the normal specification at extra cost.

19. Fair point, Paul.

Usually you have the option to upgrade whilst the house is being built - don't know if this applied to Wern.

For an attached garage, I wouldn't expect more than the usual 2.5mm. But for a detached double garage around 8 metres away from t'house, using 1.5mm2 still deserves a thump and a kick in my books.

It's makes even my canny Skots meanness cringe.

(Not that I wish to promote violence in any way - my thumps and kicks are all metaphorical...)

20. sparky Si-Fi

1.5 on a sub main is tight and mean to say the least, might as well say heres a single socket and a jar of glow worms cause thats the most your gonna get out of that supply

10mm do it once, do not scrimp on the run of 8 mts, EVERY eventuality is then covered

nigel willson and FatHands like this.