Garage wiring query

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Zico123, May 28, 2014.

1. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Four pole isolator could have just been 'liberated' from somewhere, work, a friend, anywhere that was cheaper than buying it eh?.

2. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

This is good news, so far!

I took off the isolator switch cover and took some snaps:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

No idea. THe house was rented out before we bought it so the tenant or landlord could have fiddled with it.

4. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Again the wiring in that isolator looks absolutely fine. The four pole isolator is ott but the live and neutral in the isolator are correct polarity and are terminated correctly. It does seem that there is a supply on to it now. The wire in the top is probably the incomer and the wire out goes to the garage. Be careful now because it may be connected up in the consumer unit! Also the incomer is larger, looks like a 10mm2 or even a 16mm2.

5. Cheburashka

Cheburashka Active Member

It looks to me like the incomers are the same blue and brown tails coming from the henley blocks. If this is the case you need to change that 4 pole isolator for an enclosure with an RCD and MCB to protect and offer over current/short circuit protection for this cable.

6. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

Not only that, I bet they are only single insulated where they enter the Henley block so that needs addressing as well.

7. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

Right, so I tell the electrician to rewire the Henley with better insulated cables, change the isolater to an rcd/mcb enclosure and then, when I get to the garage, what do I want?

I'm asking because he said he needs to price up the parts but didn't really suggest anything specific!

I need something for a large compressor and some plug sockets for small appliances. I'd also like to replace the light bulb with a fluorescent strip.

Oh and this is coming out of the garage ceiling:

[​IMG]

And above that in the garage roofspace I saw this:

[​IMG]

And to my left there's a light switch cord that I presume triggers the garage light bulb, need to replace the bulb to see if it works:

[​IMG]

Greatly appreciate the help by the way, this way I can make more informed choices. Might even do it all myself!

(not really).

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

9. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

Sorry to resurrect an old thread but I finally got this garage wired!

This is the box they installed into the garage:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

But the consumer box end has been left the same....

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

The garage now has a light and 3 double sockets.

Is it safe?

10. peter palmer

peter palmer Screwfix Select

Got a cert for it? Building control note? Looks nice but sadly a death trap and what the foook is that twin and earth hacked into the meter?

11. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

Haha, no certificate, nada.

It was part of some jobs that the electrician was doing (well, the two lads he sent round).

This is northern Ireland by the way, don't think part P is relevant.
    I've still got a job that needs doing so I'll get someone else in to look over the installation at the same time.

12. stu1312

stu1312 Member

Why is it a death trap? The cable feeding the new consumer unit doesn't necessarily require rcd protection if clipped direct or buried greater 50mm. It feeds a consumer unit that does have rcd protection and the rating of the mcbs in that consumer unit can't over load the cable so it's not going to burn out the cable on overload.

Not twin and earth it looks like an RJ11 plug probably connected to a comms module.

13. peter palmer

It a bit of 6mm used as a submain so itn not even a fixed load on the end with the only protection coming from the 100A main cut out fuse and the tails feeding the isolator are single insulated.

14. peter palmer

Also I doubt its buried more than 50mm and it may or may not be buried at all or on the other hand is the garage even attached to the house, it might go across the lawn for all we know.

15. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

The garage is attached to the house.

16. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

garage_4.jpg

Hmmmmmmmm

17. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

Come on Lassie, what are you trying to tell us?

Honestly, I have no idea when it comes to wiring. Could be looking at a NASA level installation or a can of petrol next to a campfire.

18. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Don't look right 2 me Zico tbqh..:rolleyes:

19. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't understand the yellow switch with 6mm coming out of it, and the 6mm emanating out of the sp Henlys? It looks like the 6mm is protected by a 100 amp fuse? But hey ho I don't know because I am only diy..:rolleyes:

20. Zico123

Zico123 New Member

This is what concerns me, there's rcd's in the garage end but seemingly not one for the garage supply in the consumer board. If that makes sense?

The electrician who carried out the work said 'I might need to rejig the cables around a bit' (regarding the yellow box) but as far as I can see, that never happened. He left it to two young fellas and I didn't receive a receipt or certificate. Has a proper website and everything!

I've no idea who to ring over here in N Ireland.