Garden supply chainsaw not working

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by Knowsome, Dec 11, 2014.

1. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Hi
    I have a garage supply unit supplied by a radial 2.5 cable from a fused MCB in the house. My new Black and Decker chainsaw 2kw won't run for long before tripping the garage supply unit in my shed. Since the chainsaw will run off by a cable reel from the house it would seem to be working OK. If the saw is drawing more power than 2kw on start up I understand that I could replace the 16A Type B MCB with a Type C. Is that correct?

2. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

2kW is 8.7A. If the chainsaw is pulling out the mcb on start-up then yes you could try a type C breaker. However, if it is tripping it after running for several minutes then it could be something else causing the mcb to pull out. I hope you have RCD protection on that circuit!

Knowsome likes this.
  3. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Had this problem, we had a attic radial circuit on a 16A type B breaker, during the roof work this supply was used to power an 91/2" angle grinder, at start up it would trip the breaker.

Knowsome likes this.
  4. Something amiss here. He says it's tripped after a few minute's use, not start-up.

Even if the chain is so worn he's really straining it, I'd be worried if the current draw doubled. Tho' it could...

Knowsome, does this happen at obvious times such as when the saw is under a full load?

And it's def an MCB and not an RCD wot trips?

Knowsome and Jitender like this.
  5. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Volt drop -> more current drawn.

How far away is the shed from the house?

6. Ooooooohhhh! Volt drop due to increased resistance (long cable) = less current drawn...

7. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Longer cable=increased impedance and drop in voltage therefore reduced current. Tut tut stateit! Well spotted DA. :)

8. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Dodgy supply trip(MCB) in the garage/shed(tripping at 10A).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

9. I neffer said nuffink about 'impedance'. Anyways, what does a floppy willy have to do with anything? :oops:

10. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Thanks unphased. The chainsaw is pulling out the MCB on startup and only on startup. The saw works perfectly off a cable reel plugged into the house ring. The supply to the shed garage CU two way 6amp and 16amp MCBs Clipsal box bought from Screwfix some time ago.

The radial to the shed is just over 20m from the house. Voltage is 239v at the shed and 237v in the house!

11. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

I also had the same problem with a 9 1/2" angle grinder which I tried to run off my daughter's garage supply same Clipsal garage CU box

12. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Voltage is 239v at the shed and 237v in the house! Other way around i'd reckon!

13. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Some of these large angle grinders don't have a soft start feature, so I think it is due to the initial start up, again it all worked when plugged into the house socket ring main.

14. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

In that case try a type C. You could go for a 20A instead of 16A which may also help. Regards

15. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Thanks Devil's Advocate

It the MCB that trips, went out to check as I had been using it today connected to the house circuit with no problems. I then went out to plug into the shed and it tripped the MCB I then tried again and the saw wouldn't trip the MCB! So I am non the wiser. I also tried plugging my cable reel into the shed socket and the saw worked fine. The chainsaw is actually 1900w not 2000w and is almost new but bought over a year ago. It is still sharp. The voltage at the cable reel fully unwound (50m) was 238v.

16. Knowsome

Knowsome Member

Thanks unphased will try that.

17. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

Not with a motor. With a fixed load (ie heating element), then yes.

With a motor under load lower voltage than design voltage= higher current drawn.

Also if the chainsaw is under a heavy load (log too thick, forcing the saw through the log, blunt blade) the motor will slow down and draw more current to compensate.

18. Ball locks.

So, according to your calculations, if you were to run this chain saw under a heavy load and fed via a 2-mile cable, it'll draw more amps...?

That's ok - apology accepted :p

19. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

This is one of many articles you could look at. It explains overvoltage problems as well as undervoltage problems: (Click to expand)

There are many other articles explaining this.

20. stateit

stateit Screwfix Select

My general experience with electric chainsaws is: A 2-stroke one is better.