Gas boiler under stairs

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 25896, Apr 12, 2015.

1. Morning all, am currently working on a total refurb of a three bed semi. One option to free up space in the kitchen would be to site the new boiler in the under stairs cupboard. Are there any gas regs against this and what would you gas engineers generally think of this idea? The other option is in a kitchen cupboard. Any advice appreciated!

2. plumber-boy

plumber-boy Well-Known Member

No issues I'm aware of, my neighbours boiler is under their stairs in a cupboard and that was only installed 3 yrs ago.

3. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Seen a few Valliant 824's located in under stairs cupboards, some were face on, others sideways on.

Last edited: Apr 12, 2015
    Welshdragon1 likes this.
  4. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

only 2 considerations that I can think of are, the flue might be in danger of ripping peoples face off or scratching the car and service repair will be hard, fixing a boiler under a stair sideways on with all the clutter that gets thrown in there is more fun than a 60 odd year old plumber can bear, o_O

FatHands and Welshdragon1 like this.
  5. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

I think some boilers may require a minimum gap around the sides of 5 - 10 mm

Then there is the way the flue is sited / fitted as not to be to close to windows IIRC

6. Thanks for your replies. It'd be face on so as to be kind to the plumber and there wouldn't be any flue issues.
    Cheers all.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Most boilers require a service area of 200mm below the boiler and about 30mm above the flue elbow. Also a 600mm front clearance for service.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  8. NoOhm, each boiler has the minimum space requirements printed in the installation instructions, so you can check there's enough space by contacting the manufacturers of whichever boiler you are considering.

Apart from the flue, you also need to think about how the condensate is going to be drained off - are there any internal waste pipes you could use, or is there an easy route outside for a 22mm plastic pipe?

If it turns out you may need to use a pump for this, then best to stick it in the kitchen - and inside a unit is fine provided the space issues are covered as before. It might be ok to make a 'dummy' cupboard to cover it which just lifts off in one piece?

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  9. Welshdragon1

Welshdragon1 Active Member

Dang I didn't think of the condensate pipe :( (silly me)

10. Thanks again guys. No issues with condensate. However, what's the gas regs for budging the elec meter sideways ie how close can the meter be to the gas meter?

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

BS6400:2005 and BS6891:2005.
    which state "electrical equipment (such as consumer units) should be minimum of 150mm from the gas meter unless separated by a non-combustible partition of electrical insulating material.
    Gas pipework should be a minimum of 25mm from electrical cabling.
    This information is in the NICEIC technical manual.

http://www.installeronline.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Laying-down-the-rules.pdf

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  12. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

There is a specific distance 150mm and at least 25mm away from electric cables plus the regs do state that a non combustable partition made of an electrically insulating material should be place between a gas and electric meter and their associated controls when fitted within 150 mm of each other.

Welshdragon1 likes this.
  13. Dave does Gas

Beat me to It Kiab :)

14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

:D

15. marcplum

marcplum New Member

"Installations of boilers in under stair cupboards are limited to two storey buildings without the need for lining of the cupboard with a non combustible material. Where the buildings exceeds this height the internal walls ceiling and floor must be lined providing at least 1/2 hr fire resistance (this includes the floor of the cupboard) and the appliance should be a room sealed type."
    NICEIC Domestic Gas Safety On Site Guide 2013.
    So 'plumber-boy', 'tom.plum' and, more worryingly, 'Dave does Gas' all gave inaccurate replies.
    I have been a registered gas engineer for over 20 years and this has always been so.
    The regulation is due to the stairs being an escape route in the event of fire (people must be considered able to jump from the first floor but not the second).

16. plumber-boy

OH WELL!!!! Slap my wrist...:eek:

17. "I have been a registered gas pedant for over 20 years and this has always been so."

I believe it.

18. Dave does Gas

Care to point out where I mentioned anything about under the stairs!!!
    You'll find I responded to a question about gas in proximity to electrics.
    Having worked in the industry since 1971 I think that I'm qualified to answer that particular question,correctly I think you will find.
    I look forward to your apology

KIAB and plumber-boy like this.
  19. plumber-boy

No apology yet then Dave..:)

KIAB likes this.
  20. Dave does Gas

No but I know that he has read the thread recently, probably too embarrassed.

plumber-boy likes this.