Gas or Electric Emmersion Heater?

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lilee, Mar 30, 2015.

1. Lilee

Lilee New Member

Hi

I'm new to the forum so apologise if this subject has been covered previously. We have recently moved into a new to us house and have a query with our hot water system.

The gas boiler we have lives on the floor in the attached garage. Upstairs in the bathroom we have an emmersion heater. However, the emmersion switch has been off since we moved in a couple of months ago and yet we still have hot water. The timer controls for the boiler show HW and CH options and the HW options are set to come on and off through the day. Is the boiler heating the water in the immersion tank? I always thought emmersion heaters were run on electric. Confused!!

Also, is this method of heating water very expensive. I have heard that emmersions are costly to run.

Thanks in advance

2. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

The gas boiler is heating the water in your cylinder and the electric element is just a back up if needed.

Rulland likes this.
  3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

As ^^^

4. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

This should help explain.

Screenshot_2015-03-30-18-52-58.jpg

5. Lilee

Lilee New Member

That's great. Thanks for this.

6. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

Sounds like you have economy 7, is there 2 immersions?

7. chippie244

chippie244 Super Member

Out of interest why does the original description lead you to this conclusion?

8. Lilee

Lilee New Member

No, we only have one emmersion tank with gas central heating.

9. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Lilee, the immersion is the element that actually heats the water, the tank that holds the water is known as a cylinder, I think that you are getting your terminology muddled :oops: