Gas pipe notched in botom of joice.

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Lee592046, Oct 5, 2017.

1. Lee592046

Lee592046 New Member

My friend had a new gas supply fitted and the plumber notched the joice at the bottom. Is this legal. The notches are different depths. For example one is : joice depth 170mm notch depth 50mm and it's about 1 meter from the wall. Can someone tell me is it OK before he plaster boards the ceiling please. The plumber said told it's fine.

2. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

No it's not, his 'plumber' is clearly an idiot.

KIAB likes this.
  3. WillyEckerslike

WillyEckerslike Screwfix Select

See this document - here

KIAB likes this.
  4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Notches should only be in top edge of a joist, never the bottom edge.

5. Lee592046

Lee592046 New Member

What about the ones that are 30mm deep or the ones closer to the wall. Do I need to replace my joices if you know

6. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

So is it your house or your friend's house? Any photos? Any notches in the bottom of joists are wrong, irrelevant of size and depth. Either sister a new joist side by side with the damaged one, or PU glue and screw 18mm ply both sides of the joist spanning a couple feet past the notches in both directions. Or bolt steel plate onto the joist both sides in place of the ply, again taking a few feet either direction.

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So that's about a 30% deep notch in that joist. :eek:

8. Lee592046

Lee592046 New Member

Nar my friends. No pics now

9. Lee592046

Lee592046 New Member

Yer some are and some aint.

10. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

You can notch top or bottom is the areas provided by building regs

Attached Files:

11. G&W Plumbing & Heating

G&W Plumbing & Heating Active Member

If you run a gas pipe in a notch it must be protected by steel smack plates, obviously gas pipes in voids would be come into play

12. WillyEckerslike

As always I stand to be corrected but I think that those are American/overseas documents/diagrams and not applicable to the UK

13. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Notches should be no closer to a support than 0.07 times the span, nor further away than 0.25 times the span .
    Notches can be top or bottom, but not at the same end.
    Notches depth can be up to 0.125 of joist depth, where the notch is limited to the area of between 0.1 and 0.2 of the span, the notch depth can be increased to 0.15 of the joist depth.

Those are the NICEIC guidelines, which I assume BC, have given them.
    Unless one goes totally ott with holes or notches, I've yet to be picked up on precise locations, note, this may vary between inspectors though.

Last edited: Oct 6, 2017
  14. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Follow on from your op, So even in the 'Sweet area' of 0.1 to 0.2, the maximum depth of notch can only be 25mm in a 170mm joist, which would just accommodate a 22mm gas pipe.

15. WillyEckerslike

Not according to this extract from the NICEIC guidelines - the drawing only shows notches at the top of a joist. Admittedly this is another organisation's take on their guidelines but why would they alter anything? https://www.voltimum.co.uk/articles/cutting-holes-and-notches-solid

16. Jord86

Jord86 Screwfix Select

Notching the bottom of a joist has always been prohibited since time began, so unless the goalposts have been shifted in the last couple years, to me it's still a big no no.

KIAB and WillyEckerslike like this.
  17. WillyEckerslike

I haven't found a single document or publication relevant to the UK that permits notches in the bottom of joists whilst I have found many that state the opposite.

Some, such as the one I posted earlier (#3) specifically state that they should only be in the top and that is from a local authority BC department. The most recent publication was the NHBC - January 2017 - so it would appear that I'm not dredging up obsolete documents.

As I'm neither a registered electrician (no arguments about registration please) or gas engineer, please will someone with access to those organisation's guidance/regulations set the record straight?

18. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

From the NICEIC pocket guide, Screenshot_20171006-065929.png Screenshot_20171006-070724.png

I will stand to be corrected, if required, but I follow the NICIEC/BC guidelines for holes in joists, as I'm an electrician, who was a scam member of the NICEIC until 2016.

I have though, seen, loads of gas safe engineers notching the underside of joists to get a 22mm to the cooker location.

Again, if the guide I'm using is wrong, and again, I'm not gas:cool:

WillyEckerslike likes this.
  19. WillyEckerslike

20. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

Hi mate, the problem is with this country, is, more and more rules and regulations for anything and everything attempting to be implemented , apparently to reduce risks, there cannot, or should not, in my opinion be any other reasoning behind it.

But, as we all know, there is, people make money out of it, so the more they hit us with, the more we can be caught out with, not rocket science is it?.

We are told how to climb steps,safely, we are told where to run cables, reducing risk of damage etc, we are becoming a nanny state, where quite a % of our time is being spent on red tape and the 'B' word, I can't spell it, it's to early, if you can find another 'B' word that fits, is shorter; and contains a double L, then that can be quite satisfactorily be used instead, they are essentially the same:rolleyes:

Regards, Rich.

KIAB likes this.