Gas pipe removal

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by TWSTH1, Sep 15, 2015.

1. TWSTH1

TWSTH1 New Member

Hi,

I am in the process of opening up my fire place to install an electric stove. The old gas pipe that previously supplied the gas fire and cooker has been capped in the fire place and cut and capped near to the meter so in theory the whole pipe is now dead/unused. We have an electric cooker too.

Am I ok to cut the pipe at the point where it goes off into the kitchen so that it is not on show in my fireplace once it is widened? I would prefer not to take out the whole pipe as it would mean finding it under the floor, behind walls in both living room and kitchen.

Any advice or ideas from someone in the know would be appreciated,
    Thanks in advance

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Don't trust it, got caught out here with a old gas pipe with a fan cock on it, I was removing tiles from the wall behind the kitchen sink & I hit a old fan cock buried in the wall cleanly off with my breaker, thank goodness it was brass.
    And to my surprise found out it was still live:eek:.

3. TWSTH1

TWSTH1 New Member

Fair enough. Would it be best to have it removed completely by someone who knows exactly how to, and how to deal with any new found problems.

Sounds like you had a close call KIAB, not sure the Mrs would be impressed if I made things worse, best to lay blame with someone else in my experience!

4. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Should have scanned the wall in hindsight, but I didn't to have expected a gas cooker sited barely 600mm from a window, but years ago they had many funny ideas with kitchen layouts.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Do you still use gas for anything, if meter is totally & capped & isolated then cut the pipe, if you smell gas you know it's still live.

6. TWSTH1

TWSTH1 New Member

We have a gas boiler upstairs that has a seperate pipe altogether. The pipe downstairs appears to supply the cooker and gas fire both of which are capped and unused as we have electric or will have very soon

7. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Not really, pipes that once carried gas still need to be capped, I know its anal but there is reason behind the madness. My advice as always is to call a gas safe plumber who will charge about #70.00 to remove it.

8. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Its simple, they smell, so we cap them off to prevent bad smells in someones house.

9. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

Not to mention the fact that rodents like them and the small risk of pockets of gas igniting,,,,,

10. TWSTH1

TWSTH1 New Member

All sorted, got a gas safe plumber to do it for me at the weekend, thanks for your advice everyone. It cost me £50 but has saved me loads of grief from the wife, result ;)

11. That was the right thing to do - no question. :)

And that's a fair GasSafe cove too. :D

12. dubsie

dubsie Active Member

You made the right decision had you cut into a live gas pipe then you would have been paying emergency rates. Plumbers are not expensive and sometimes its better to just call someone who knows that they are doing.