Gasless MIG Weldng

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by yorkyguy, Jul 26, 2017.

Tags:
  1. yorkyguy

yorkyguy Active Member

Hello,
    I have an old Clarke Gas MIG welder which still works fine and was wondering can I use gasless/flux wire without the need to source more CO2 which is a pain. Its for a small light sheet steel repair project. cheers

2. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes. Takes more skill and the wire is thicker. I just end up grinding off the blobs. Why not go have ago and see how it goes

3. Ideally the polarity should be reversed, I understand.

Having said that, my neighb - who is a 'coded' welder (whatever that is) - has used gasless wire in his 'normal' gas MIG welder with decent results.

4. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Yes. Reverse polarity. It's just a case of switching wires around and takes seconds to do. Should say somewhere in wire compartment. Flux wire is thicker and more power is needed so a little harder to get clean weld. I just do in spots and grind off after. Trouble is gas don't last long with those small bottles. 10 mins or so. Best investment in big bottle if you can.

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

6. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I have a large co2 cylinder that I picked up from 'somewhere' :rolleyes: and get it refilled at a place that does fire extinguishers. Costs about a tenner for a 14lb refill which will keep you welding all year. Will need a regulator too.

KIAB likes this.
  7. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

8. Bob Rathbone

Bob Rathbone Screwfix Select

I use Co2 intended for drinks machines, no deposit on the bottle but each costs around £30, return the empty and get a refill. Bratby Gasses in Shrewsbury are my suppliers, you do need a regulator.

KIAB likes this.