Ghosting & damp

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Leon648, Dec 30, 2016.

1. Leon648

Leon648 Member

hi all, would you be able to help me out, I'm looking at a house built in the last couple of years and noticed some "ghosting", where you can see the outline of the blocks under the rendering? It's very pronounced on a house in the same row so I've taken a photo of that too, but the house I'm looking at seems to have it coming under two upstairs windows. There's also some white which I'm concerned may be rising damp? If anyone can give me an opinion I'd be v grateful. Does the ghosting indicate a moisture issue? Many thanks IMG_2577.JPG IMG_2579.JPG IMG_2581.JPG IMG_2582.JPG

2. On the stonework it is salts coming out, efflorescence.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 30, 2016
    Leon648 likes this.
  3. Leon648

Leon648 Member

Thanks Deleted member 11267, am I right thinking that indicates damp?

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

No. Its not damp. Just salts in the sand that was used to make the cement. Thats very normal to see.

Leon648 likes this.
  5. Leon648

Leon648 Member

That makes sense. Thank you :)
    Now just to figure out the ghosting....

6. Leon648

Leon648 Member

Just found out it's k rend if that's any help to anyone

7. Leon648

Leon648 Member

Supposedly 20mm thickness (architects plans)

8. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Ring K Rend technical. They would be best placed to explain what's up.

To me, is it possible the mortar bedding the block is a much darker colour to the render and the colour difference is bleeding through?

Or, most more probably, an insufficient thickness of K Rend has been applied allowing the mortar colour to bleed through.

Leon648 likes this.
  9. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The top picture is probably down to the guttering not quite reaching the end of the roof.

Second picture just above the window heads there are two weep holes, which are very far apart either side of the window. I would have expected at least one in the middle.

Third picture, I would query why the outside of the upper floor right hand window reveal has been re-cemented. It is a much lighter colour than the ground floor ones. The staining on the wall may also be because the pointing has been patched up with new cement.

upload_2016-12-31_20-39-2.png

Where the two windows join the sealer between both window cill has gone and they look out of level.

upload_2016-12-31_20-37-43.png

Last picture bottom right hand corner the window cill has been damaged - pig of a job to fix neatly.

The window cills are cheap cement products and have no real strength. I would try and knock a considerable bit of money off and have them replaced with real stone. Or repaired, painted and sealed. Don't consider sealing the stonework as this will cause more problems

Leon648 likes this.
  10. Leon648

Leon648 Member

Thanks, nice detective work! this may be a daft question,is any of that likely to cause moisture to be an issue inside the walls?

11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

At the moment unlikely, most is cosmetic. Although you do get the guttering fixed in the top picture as this will be affecting the property next door - which you would be liable for eventually.

I would enquire why the upstairs window required repointing as that is quite unusual.

Leon648 likes this.
  12. Leon648

Leon648 Member

Ok, thank you! The windowsill photo is my main concern, the dodgy guttering is a few houses down, I included it because it gives a better idea of the marks under the windowsills which aren't as visible on the photo. So would you say the sill probably hasn't caused damp inside the wall? Many thanks :)

13. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

This one

upload_2017-1-1_21-8-19.png

Moisture is collecting around that area, you can see that the joint has been washed clean and water has cleaned up the stone below. So most of it is flowing away. you would have to put a meter on the wall on the inside to test for any ingress - but I doubt it as any water would go soak into the cavity and then run down the cavity.

What could be happening is that the white stains above the lintel, circled in blue is evidence of water running down the cavity and finding its way out there.

upload_2017-1-1_21-14-16.png
    This what these are for in this picture - so any water can exit through these min vents. There aren't any of these installed in the picture above.

upload_2017-1-1_21-16-24.png

Leon648 likes this.
  14. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Wouldn't surprise me if weep vents have been rendered over, if fitted.:eek:

Leon648 likes this.
  15. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

The ones in the picture above look like they have had a fair old coat of paint or latex finish as well

Leon648 likes this.
  16. Leon648

Leon648 Member

What would be the best kind of metre to check for water inside the wall? There's an internal wall between the two windows and they're not far off the floor so I'm not sure if there's enough accessible wall area to check for damp caused by the non level windowsills properly?

17. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

Quite a few on Amazon, one of the cheaper ones will give you an idea if it is damp - so is it your property and trying to get something fixed or one looking to buy ?

18. Leon648

Leon648 Member

Well actually I'm just trying to rent, some of the family have life threatening mould allergies, they've been hospitalised because of it previously so I'm trying to eliminate as much risk as possible, proving to be really tricky so all the advice on here is much appreciated :)

19. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

No problem,

One of the things I recommend is the Unibond Aero 360, it is passive air moisture reducer which works well for allergy and asthma suffers. The attraction is that you can see any moisture. My wife is Asthmatic and this is what we use in the bedroom and in cupboards where we store bed linne

If you are allowed to decorate there are anti microbial paint which block bacteria and of course electrical hepa air filters which you can again fit in the bedrooms and run silently.

Our household cleaner has a HEPA filter which we run not only use on the carpets but also on the bed. Once done we follow this up with a UV cleaner to remove the potential of any dust mites.

Leon648 likes this.
  20. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

So you are relying on a DIY forum for your families safety?

Employ an expert or walk away, you need somebody to actually walk the line here not look at a few dodgy pics to make this call if that is your worry.

Astramax and KIAB like this.