glass panels in stiar bannisters

Discussion in 'Carpenters' Talk' started by Colin_S, Dec 8, 2014.

1. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

Hi all
    I am probably setting myself right up, but for the love of me i cant get my head round this, or i am right. Basically i want to replace my bannister with the richard burbidge immix. My problem lies with the glass panels, like i said, i'm either staring at the obvious or im right? On all the webistes that sell the bannister the glass panel either comes with both ends straight or 1 end angled. How can i fit the panels on a normal angled stair case so the glass looks like it is virtical. obviously if both sides of the glass is straight then the glass will be angled, i dont get why one end would be angled and one straight? dont both sides need to be angled in order for the glasss to be virtical? i hope you follow what i mean, ive uploaded a pic to help descirbe what i mean

thanks

Attached Files:

2. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Are the websites you're looking at specifically saying one end is straight or showing photos as such? I've had a quick look and all results show a photo of one edge of the angled glass, doesn't specify anything but would automatically assume that both ends are angled as you rightly say they will need to be .

CraigMcK likes this.
  3. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

Would they not be expecting you to cut them based on the stair angle and the height of the bannister?

4. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I don't know anything about stairs or the above product but surely the installer cant be expected to cut the glass Craig

Would have thought that the glass is toughened so any cutting would have to be completed before this process

But what do I know.................................? :(

5. R.W_Carpentry

R.W_Carpentry Active Member

Was thinking the same as Dave, the glass is toughened so can't see that it's designed to be cut at install stage, and if you had to cut an angle on the bottom, the top angle would most likely be wrong anyway.
    I can't find any for sale that say specifically that only one side is cut at the angle?

6. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Would be far cheaper to use a local glass company for this. I would expect that the gap between the panes should not be more than 100mm (4") or allow a sphere of that size to pass through. the thing is all staircases are unique, they have varying pitches etc. I would expect toughened glass, and polished edges.

7. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

Its gonna be a nightmare to keep clean, fingerprints.

8. FatHands

FatHands Well-Known Member

9. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

On the first pic in the OPs post, isn't the bottom of the glass square for support, as in, it slots in to the framing, looking at the handrail these not a lot holding the glass there.

10. Colin_S

Colin_S New Member

i have been in contact with the web site and both sides of the glass are angled but the picture cuts this off. I did email them before but they didn't reply, hence y i asked you guys. I wonder how many sales they lost because of this? i almost went else where.

11. CraigMcK

CraigMcK Screwfix Select

That's good to know, but interested what you do if your stairs are not at that particular angle?