GlowWorm 30CXi - again...

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by Deleted member 33931, Jan 30, 2015.

1. What a b*****d.

The DHW runs cold after a minute - boiler flame shuts off. This morn is also returned an F14 fault when it happened.

The F14 description seems largely to refer to CH-related issues: "Central heating flow temp is greater than 95oC"

Possible cause: "System fault" (helpful...), "Possible Pump Failure" or "Check Thermistor on flow" (I did check that one recently when my CH was playing up.)

So, an F14 fauly on the DHW?

What gives?

2. Glad its Friday

Glad its Friday Active Member

Have a good look round the condensate trap area. Make sure the fall etc is correct, the condensate trap itself completely clear and that there isn't any damp affecting any of the wiring in that area. Once had an intermittent problem with one of these boilers (cannot remember the fault code now) and it ended up being a short on the wiring in the trap area.

3. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

Oh no, its the old plate heat ex again Mr Devs, the heating circs are overheating due to the plate heat ex not transfereing the heat, I'm trying very hard not to mention anything about filt....... phew, i nearly did then :oops:

4. WWWWAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA :(

What do I do, Mr Plum - fit a second filter and add more chemicals... :oops:

5. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

did't you save the old one and gave it a long soak in snake o,,,,,,, sorry I mean x800 ? maybe that will improve it, a new one is about £112+vodka n' tonic + fitting , I hope I'm wrong Mr Devs and I could well be but it seems the logical problem from where I'm sitting, :(

6. Dave does Gas

Dave does Gas Screwfix Select

Replace the plate heat exchanger. The way you cleaned it before was probably not the best way to do it, I usually remove them then descale them in a bucket of Fernox DS3 using hot water from the kettle (make a cup of tea whilst its on please missus). If this does not work replace with new, you have all the filters and a clean system by now so all should be ok.

7. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

the operative word being 'SHOULD'........:eek:

8. What I don't understand is, I did manage to unblock the exchanger before using X800, and that was around a year or so ago. The Magnaclean also removes small amounts of sludge each time I clean it out, so that's also doing its job.

So why the fluff has the exchanger blocked again when I have a double-dose of X400 still running around in there?

Grrrrr.

9. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I'm strongly resisting getting my soap box out and telling how it is about snake oi,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,NO I SHAN'T,,,:(

10. Dave does Gas

Maybe, just or should I say Chust you didn't clear all the **** out of it because you didnt take it out of the boiler and ensure it was clear.:rolleyes:

11. This is true... :(

12. Dave does Gas

Cant think of any other explanation Sorry DA

13. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

I can, the x800 doest work, sue um Mr Devs, show them to be the peddlers of stuff that does not do what it says on the tin/tub, I'll bet there's some small print that says, sue us and the biglads will come round and beat the holycrap out of ya,

14. But...but...but...

The X800 did work Mr Plum. About a year ago the hot got so bad it would run for just a few seconds before 'F'-ing.

A dose of X800 in my newly fitted Magnaclean, sent neat into the boiler and recirculated around the PtoP exchanger, had this sorted in literally minutes.

This did happen.

It did completely sort the exchanger for a year. No question.

Which is why I don't understand why a year on, with the X800 flushed out but a double-dose of x400 added instead (meant to be a gentler, longer-term cleaner) and the Magnaclean washed out a good few times (with a small amount of coating each time) it should return. My system should be cleaner now if anything.

I guess that the cleaners will loosen the sludge and send it around the system, and if it ain't all trapped then...?

15. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

to be honest Mr Devs I dunno, I've fitted hundreds of combis, mostly baxi/main/potterton because of the area i live in, good honest down to earth working folks needing budget boilers that work good, I've NEVER had a complaint about a furred up plate heat ex in all the time I've fitted them, I've never ever power flushed and never ever used chemicals other than inhibitor, Even in my own house,my mums house,2 of my brothers houses and several friends houses, Its got to be an area thing or a boiler part fault,
    I mean try this,
    " hello glowworm, why are your plate heat exchangers not fit for purpose?"
    :confused:

16. Ok, wifie having shower. And I'm in the 'pooter' room where the boiler is located.

I'm very kindly resetting the boiler every time it trips out ;)

Ok, it's an F14 fault - central heating flow temp too high. I was having a feel under t'boiler to see how hot the DHW flow pipe was, when I touched the CH flow pipe and nearly lost my skin... Flippin' heck - it was scalding.

What's going on? Why would the CH pipe be scalding when the boiler is on DHW? Could it be a half-operating diverter valve, perhaps? So that most of the pump's flow is going around the PtoP exchanger as it should, but not enough to keep it flowing properly, with some flow 'leaking' oot the CH flow pipe - hence it being scalding?

(All theory, of course.)

But does a scalding CH flow pipe fit in with it a blocked PtoP exchanger?

17. tom.plum

tom.plum Screwfix Select

how is it when the taps are run ? if its ok at the sink and bath it might be the shower is fluffed up :confused:

sorry i read that wrong, the boiler circs are getting scalding cos its not transfereing the heat to the DHW, so it trips, if it transferes the boiler circs will keep cooler and the burner will stay lit,

Last edited: Feb 2, 2015
  18. Happens with all hot taps - kitchen, shower, etc.

I understand what you mean - the 'system' side of the PtoP exchanger is partially blocked so the pump cannot force the main exchanger heated water through it fast enough and it overheats.

But, the CH flow pipe was VERY hot - hotter than it ever gets with chust the CH on. How did the overheated water 'leak' out the CH flow when the boiler was running on DHW?

Is what I said a possibility? Can the diverter valve on GlowWorms sit in a 'half-diverted' position?

Ta.

19. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

And you still don't like leccy showers. At least it wouldn't take two of you being there so one person can have a shower. (thought you'd be learning from this experience DA. What would you do if the wifie wasn't around when you want a shower? Ask the neighbour to keep re-setting the boiler?? :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes: