Glue for metal to metal

Discussion in 'Engineers' Talk' started by Ethna, Aug 1, 2016.

1. Ethna

Ethna New Member

The leg of my cast iron garden chair has been broken off, does anyone know if there a glue that will stick it together again? Tried taking it to be soldered but as I haven't got the bit that fixes it to the seat so it can't be done.

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Got a photo,to make things clearer.:)

If cast iron, it can be welded, the bit fixes to the seat could be made from weld built up most likely.

Ethna likes this.
  3. Ethna

Ethna New Member

4. Ethna

Ethna New Member

Thanks for the info. The welder I took it to said I needed the bit that fixed the leg to the seat, unfortunately that bit got mixed in with garden rubble. image.jpeg image.jpeg

5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Shouldn't be to difficult to build up weld on those lugs on the leg, a bit of work with a grinder, & then redrill the holes, use to do that many years ago.

Could always look or post a wanted on your local Freecycle/Freegle for a cast iron garden chair to salavage for spares.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2016
    Ethna likes this.
  6. philthespark

philthespark Active Member

Trouble is it's cast,there are a lot of so called welders who can't weld it.loads of people get a cheap mig these days then call themselves a welder.same with our game people swap a light fitting and the next day they're calling themselves electricians. Lol

KIAB likes this.
  7. Ethna

Ethna New Member

8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Very true, cast iron isn't the easiest to weld, can be a right bar-steward, that's why I suggested looking for a spare chair to canabalise.

9. Ethna

Ethna New Member

Thanks for that, never thought of looking for another chair, - brilliant!!

10. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Down here, they pop frequently on Freegle/Freecycle.

Got my present set of bench,table & 3 chairs off Freecycle, just needed repaint.

philthespark likes this.
  11. philthespark

Oh yes, same with stainless and aluminium, I worked at a place and they needed some stainless tables repaired, the previous incumbent had talked the firm into buying a welder and SS rods.He couldn't do it and blamed the gear, I set too and saved them 3k in repair costs. As I said to the gaffer there's welders and then those who think they are

12. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Know most quirks with aluminum, used to repair aluminum tipper trailers with mig many years ago.

13. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

Years ago,I used to TIG weld s/s pipes which were hydraulially tested at 5400 psi.....I bet I couldn't do it now !

14. philthespark

Have a TIG set but not done much,I used to work with welders on one of the plants and they'd TIG stainless pipes and when they'd done it looked like one continuos piece.They used to test with a gas that had very small molecules,apparently if this stuff couldn't get out then nothing could.I can weld fair enough,but I wouldn't put myself anywhere near those guy's,it's practically an art form.

15. BMC2000

BMC2000 Screwfix Select

Try Supafix

16. Dr Bodgit

Dr Bodgit Super Member

JB Weld?

17. facilities

facilities Guest

Hi Ethna,
    Don't bother trying to get it welded it won't work, cast iron comes in all grades, your chair will be a lower grade and a very sandy casting as soon as the welder strikes an arc it will just blow it away, on good quality cast it is possible to weld with the correct welding rods and knowledge, your only chance would be to attempt a braze but this may not work also if your lucky it may work