Gower Rapide - Quality or Cr*p?

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by Nis999, Jun 12, 2016.

1. Nis999

Nis999 Member

Anyone got experience of Gower Rapide? I have fitted dozens of Howdens kitchens for customers but their price for units alone for my own kitchen is £6K. Being on a tight budget I started to look on the net (due to our location there’s only Howdens, Benchmarx & B&Q locally) and saw Rapide Valencia at less than HALF the Howdens price. Not a straight comparison I know, as they’re 15mm and flatpacked, but I could live with that for the saving. As I’ve not heard of them before I’d appreciate any advice….

2. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

15mm cabinets?? A bit thin I'd say. Most kitchen units are 18mm. Still ya gets what ya pays for. ;);)

3. Scotmac

Scotmac Member

I don't have any experience of it sorry. I only really use howdens and it does save a lot of hassle. Tbh though if you're finding it for less than half the price then I can see the dilema. Is there no way of negotiating howdens down? Normally quite happy to take off big discounts if you ask them right. With a lot of things though if you buy cheap you buy twice . Hopefully you get the advice you're after

4. Gower! Now there's a name from the past...:oops:

I used to sell and fit them around 35 years ago. Back then they were good value and decent quality, and compared favourably with similar makes.

Yes, 15mm is unusual these days - this must be a budget range?

Bottom line - if you are happy with how it looks, then once it's installed properly (dead level and fully secured), then - y'know what? - most kitchens are pretty much the same.

If a hinge fails, you replace it.

Nothing should actually fall apart once it's installed. Not unless something happens to it - water leak or similar.

If you are happy with the fascias and drawer runners and hinges and trims etc - then go for it.

But there are other suppliers of kitchens also worth looking at - I've seen them mentioned on here but can't recall who they are...

How does the Gower kitchen compare with, say, Wickes'?

KIAB likes this.
  5. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Gower.:eek:

Thought they were long gone, I also use to sell & fit them nearly 35 years ago.:eek:

6. Mwoa mwoa :)

KIAB likes this.
  7. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Gower. :eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Never heard of them.

:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p:p

8. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Don't forget that Howdens do a contract range too...and they'll come assembled!

9. Brian_L

Brian_L Active Member

Have a look at DIY kitchens, somebody on here suggested them to me and I've fitted it recently. quite happy with the quality although drawer runners screws could have better spacing/ more screws which I have done myself.

10. Nis999

Nis999 Member

Thanks for the replies everyone. Since my first post I have had a quote from a newish company in Barrow selling Magnet, equivalent to Howdens, and HALF the Howdens price. That £3K saving will pay for granite worktops so I have a happy wife too.

Deleted member 33931 likes this.
  11. Nis999

Nis999 Member

Footnote: went back to order kitchen and found myself subject to the oldest trick in the book - "sorry, the price I gave you yesterday DIDNT include VAT like I told you" !!! Salesmen....!

12. :eek:

Check out the suggestions from peeps above.

13. slippyr4

slippyr4 Member

Gower make wickes kitchens.

14. metrokitchens

metrokitchens Screwfix Select

Wickes have just improved their contract range available in store.

15. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

Give these guys a bell https://www.discountkitchenfactory.co.uk/ He supplies nice quality assembled carcasses and can supply wide range of doors from several suppliers at decent prices. Has always matched/beaten any other quote I've taken to him. Email him a sketch/list of sizes/components and you may well be pleased. Keeps his prices down by running out of tatty buildings in an old mill, but been around for at least 25 years. I have no connection other than satisfied customer.