Grass seed

Discussion in 'Other Trades Talk' started by spen123, Mar 31, 2017.

1. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Anyone recommend a good fast growing grass seed?

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

For a lawn or to smoke? ;)

3. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Haha lawn but if it don't grow I'll smoke it

4. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Any Garden Centre would be able to help with a good all rounder variety, grass can vary between putting green to football pitch.

spen123 likes this.
  5. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

spen123 likes this.
  6. jonathanc

jonathanc Guest

faster it grows more you have to cut it - go for the slow growing stuff and a huge diesel powered mower..............

you can guess I hate mowing with a passion............

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Turf isn't all that expensive and can be delivered to your door and it's an instant lawn once laid. A company in Sussex supply's turf called C B Winter but must be plenty of others about all over the country.

8. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

I always seed. Takes 10 days to show and 1st cut in 3 weeks minimum. I worked out years ago there is no difference to cheap seed vs expensive.. Seen a garden show on TV that confirmed that. Wang it down and Wang some more later this year. Rain is good. Do it now before the sunshine so you can save the constant watering. B&Q value seed is good

9. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Okay thanks all. Can't turf it I've just put some weed killer down so now I have mass of dead weed and miss to remove then I want to seed it for a nice green lawn. I don't mind mowing the lawn bought myself a 6.5hp husqvarna auto walk last year so need to put her to good use. Nothing like a fresh cut lawn

10. Wayners

Wayners Screwfix Select

Oh. Fast growing seed.. It's just seed with fertiliser.... You can bung fertiliser down yourself.

11. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Show lawn or a hard wearing play lawn for kids, any shade.
    Used EverGreen Multi Purpose grass seed hereafew years ago, found it pretty good.

spen123 and Astramax like this.
  12. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Well if it was my choice id have a show lawn but I don't think I'll get that with the kids.

13. spen123

spen123 Screwfix Select

Did you just put it down or out some compost over and rake?

14. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

So many grams per square metre by hand and then can be lightly raked over and watered. Probably find a vid on youtube! :)

15. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Google for general sports field grass seed mixture or a hardwaring play area grass seed, either will give you a tough hard dense wearing lawn for kids.

16. ramseyman

ramseyman Screwfix Select

For my jobs I regularly use Wilco's non-ryegrass and it does the job really well, bought loose, weigh it yourself 30gm per sqm, best time to sow is now and last two weeks of September

17. Andy Pullen

Andy Pullen New Member

18. Mark DM

Mark DM Screwfix Select

Old posting...hopefully a great lawn by now :)

19. RaymondBlaykie

RaymondBlaykie New Member