Grout line width, wall / floor tiles ?

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by FussyGit, Jun 7, 2005.

1. FussyGit

FussyGit New Member

Tiles just delievered for bathroom, will be same tile on wall and floor, a stone look ceramic, about 11mm thick and 300 x 605.

Tile is really designed as a floor tile but I reckon it will be OK on the walls, problem is width of grout, the 605 implies a 5mm grout width which is what I would normally use on the floor but on the wall I would use 3mm.

For this job both have to be the same for the lines to be right so should I use 3 or 5mm throughout ? and what are the pros and cons of each ?

Cheers,

FG

2. The tile size is 605mm becuse there will be a corresponding 300mm tile that is designed to work with it.

To enable the two sizes to work in modular patterns the extra 5mm allows for the grout line between two 300 mm tils and still allows them to line up on both ends.

You can use whatever joint size you like subject to minimums of 2mm for walls and 3mm for floors, just make sure you use a suitable grout for your joint size.

Any other points are just a metter of taste.

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Just to help clear that up a bit, sorry Mudster, not picking holes.

Mudster talks about a corresponding 300mm tile that works with the 605 tile, and then goes on to say that you can use any grout space etc.

BUT, your tiles are 605mm x 300mm so the corresponding measurement is on the tiles you have already.

Therefore, you will be in big trouble if you don't stick to the 5mm gap as your lines will not match up if you have two ends with 3mm gaps = 606mm and next to one side of tile and one gap of 5mm = 610mm.

Hope that hinders, sorry, helps.

Mr. Handyandy - really

4. FussyGit

FussyGit New Member

Thanks, the tiles on the wall will all be laid horizontally so probably OK but thinking now where they come back along the floor on two walls they will of course be at right angles, so effectively 300 tiles, and that's what made me think the gaps need to be 5mm.

I'm going to use the Granfix sandstone coloured grout, will need to make sure I have enough for 5mm !

FG

5. mj

mj Guest

If your tiles are all 605 x 300 then the 605mm measurement has no significance.
    I think 2-3mm looks right on walls & 5-6mm on floors
    If your worried how the floor tiles will meet the wall tiles, then consider laying floor tiles diagonally.

6. As I read it, you're using the same tile on walls and floor?

It will look very strange lining them up on two walls and not on the others, which is the very reason they produce a 300mm floor tile to suit in these cases.

Personally I prefer tiles of this size fitted horizontally in a brickwork style, it almost becomes irrelavant what you do with the floor then, as long that is staggered.

If you are intent on lining it all up, then set out the floor tiling first and check to see that the wall work from that, don't try it the other way round, it doesn't work as well.

7. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

What colour are the tiles?
    I feel that there is no need to line up the tiles on the walls and floor in most cases, are you going to line up the grout lines on any tiled boxing you may have? It could potentially take all day to work out the fine details of all the cuts! Its not always possibe to line everything up, I would prefer to see larger cuts left rather than everything in line with slithers left.

8. FussyGit

FussyGit New Member

Thanks for the advice. The tiles are a light stone colour with a sort of riven effect. I could easily cut them to make square tiles for the floor but I don't think that would work due to the pattern.

On the wall I considered them offset (brick style) but that didn't look right, just on top of each other works best.

The grout would be a similar colour to the tile (sandstone) so should blend even at 5mm wide but looks better at 3mm.

As luck would have it the layout on the wall throughout the room works well, only a few cuts, no slivers, and wc and basin centred on a tile. It is the floor that is the problem.

Laying them diagonally I don't think would work - but lining them up doesn't really look right either. Maybe the answer is give up and lay a different 300 square floor tile ? Ideas and suggestions welcome.

Anyway a picture paints so here is what it looks like with a few of the tiles laid out on wall and floor.

http://www.manbus.com/tiles.jpg

FG

9. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

I take it the enclosure has been tiles?

10. bathstyle

bathstyle Active Member

sorry tiled!

11. I wouldn't even consider cutting these tiles down to 300, you'd be able to see the cut edge.

I'd be buying the mathcing tile available at 300mm which should be available, problem solved.

The only other alternative is to fit them in a herringbone pattern which works for rectangluar tiles, but I don't think you have enough floor for this, (big tile small room).

12. FussyGit

FussyGit New Member

I've already asked about a 300 square version of the tile and been told it is not available, apparently it is a new product and 605x300 is only size at the moment.

The actual brand is Sanchis Azulejos and it is a Travertino Ocre.

Anyway, been playing again with layout on floor, see
    http://www.manbus.com/tiles2.jpg
    and I think it works if I do the floor with the gaps staggered, Mudster and all what do you think ?

The wall tiles will only go up as high as window level except in shower enclosure where they will go to ceiling.

FG

13. You've chosen a grout of a similar colour to the tile, which makes the setting out a lot less important. Once the tiles are fitted and grouted you'll really just be faced by a wall of colour.

If you were using a contrasting grout this changes the appearance quite a lot and the setting out becomes far more important.

The staggering works, It would work either way round, you could stagger the walls and tile the floor square, or lay it out as you have now.

The offset removes the need for the lines to follow and it actually breaks things up a little.

It's also handy as it's easy to pinch 5mm here and there to take up any slight imperfections in the fit.