Guys How Does This High Integrity CU Work?

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by JP., Oct 12, 2014.

1. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

IMG_2725.jpgat.jpg

Afternoon guys. I have got no problems cabling up my cu however I was just wondering about the RCCB with neutral in and neutral out - basically how does it work? Thanks guys.

2. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Where is the live coming from for the middle bus? I can understand the high integrity bus, and the last bus but not the middle bus? Fair nuff I can wire it and test and everything, but I don't really like the idea of wiring something and not knowing how the N through N rccb works. I know its more then likely simple. Thanks guys.

3. Rulland

Rulland Screwfix Select

That's a new one to me JP, and I must admit I'm an 'ickle intrigued tbh, have you got any documentation or data sheets for it?, model /part number?, I'm guessing not 'cos you're asking questions too.
    I'd be rather interested in the workings as well.
    Google may be our friend, I'm looking now, well will be after this post, lol.
    Rich.

4. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

I think there's a tag on the back of that left hand rccb which connects to the bus bar which comes from the back of the main switch JP.

FatHands likes this.
  5. Lectrician

Lectrician Screwfix Select

The wider RCD picks power up from the end of the unprotected busbar, and sending out to the middle section. The far left RCD picks it up from the main switch. The neutrals pass in/out the RCDS as usual.

Is there an obvious break in the busbar behind the wide RCD?

Horrible board. Horrible choice!

FatHands likes this.
  6. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

That's why I know them as Craptree Lec!

7. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Cheers Sen all now seems logical

8. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I understand now Lec. I already have a Starbreaker split loader which I fitted yonks ago when I rewired my gaff under 16th edn regs, and it cabled up very nicely including a rcbo I fitted to it. The cu has given me no trouble whatsoever and it looks smart to boot. The high integ one looks like it will wire up nicely too, and I expect no probs tbqh. The case design is exactly the same as the split loader one so I am happy with the cu. I expect no probs with trip times etc and am completly confident that the cu will give excellent service in the years that follow. Its either Wylex or Crabtree for me, others db's I know nothing about tbqh.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2014
  9. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

Hi Mr R. Its a Crabtree Starbreaker High Integrity cu. I understand how its works now after Sen and Lec's post..I didn't really look at it very closely before fitting because I don't really look at stuff that much - it was only after I offered it up that I wondered how it worked. Cheers Mr R.

10. Caddy

Caddy Active Member

I've never understood why Crabtree insist on having the Main switch on the left considering nearly all board upgrades are from old wooden wylex or similair ones which have have them on the right.. just makes life harder trying to reposition the tails.

11. JP.

JP. Screwfix Select

I don't know myself Caddy tbqh. All the db's I have fitted have been on rewires, so main switch position would not really be important as such.