Hammer head fitting

Discussion in 'Tool Talk' started by Pollowick, Dec 1, 2016.

1. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Need to fit a new handle on my lump hammer ... The last time I did it on a large hammer was probably 40+ years ago.

What is the preferred way of doing so? Wooden wedges? Metal wedges? I have both?

Or use a wooden wedge along the line of the head to push the handle out sideways, thena metal wedge across to get a real tight fit?

2. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Blu-tak

3. Phil the Paver

Phil the Paver Screwfix Select

Normally soak the handle for a few days and use a single metal wedge.

KIAB likes this.
  4. Have to admit that I would just buy another 1 for the price of them. Cost more in time than buying 1?

If I'm using 1 I want to know its fully secure and isnt going to come off or loose, mid swing!

KIAB and tore81 like this.
  5. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

If you have a treasured head then i would def try to fit a new handle!

KIAB likes this.
  6. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Bough a new Bulldog lump hammer with a grp handle last month, first new hammer in 30 years,:eek:handle on old one was down to a stump, didn't have time to fit new handle, quicker to buy new, cost £12 for a 4lb lump.
    Surprise how much I like the soft grip grp handle.:)

7. Have had a fibreglass handle club hammer for years now. I could not manage to get a good wooden handled anymore.
    The decent manufacturers must have stopped making them when all the tat started getting sold.

Joe95 and KIAB like this.
  8. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

It's impossible to find a decent hickory handle today, bought a couple for two ball pein hammers, both have split.:(

Might have to buy a grp handled ball pein hammer.:(

9. Have seen club hammers in the merchants/wholesalers,with the heads flapping about loose before they are even sold.
    Absolute getting sold.

KIAB likes this.
  10. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

Saves you breaking your painted nails (On fingers!)? :oops::p

KIAB likes this.
  11. sospan

sospan Screwfix Select

About 15 year ago I bough a claw hammer with a yellow nylon shaft for a couple of pounds, I got a lot of stick for buying a toy hammer with a plastic handle. At the time the Stanley chrome steel shaft hammer with a rubber grip was "the thing to have".

After trying the cheapo hammer how many sneaked off and got one with a nylon a handle as the Stanley ones were dreadful for vibration.

Same with a modern sledge or lump hammer so much better and deaden the blows. Even my pick has a synthetic handle

12. Pollowick

Pollowick Screwfix Select

Don't like metal handled hammers at all - even with the rubber grips you still get the shock.

Fitted the new handle - nice Hickory and cleaned up the end. Needs a little oil, and then as I use it natural oils from my skin will soak in. Good for another few years - and the head actually says "Made in England".