Handleless Door Fitting Question

Discussion in 'Kitchen Fitters' Talk' started by John Carr, Jul 4, 2017.

1. John Carr

John Carr New Member

Hi All,

I'm fitting a WIckes kitchen at the moment and have got bit of a puzzler. The new integral fridge and freezer have matching hinges where you screw through from the reverse side into the door. My problem is that my doors have a 'gutter' handle so the top 25 - 30mm is about 6mm thick. The hinge fixings locate behind the gutter section.

Driving a screw through this isn't possible so I'm hoping that there's an alternative solution. I'm an electrician so technically competent, but struggling with this one.

Cheers,

John.

2. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

I take it the fridge and freezer are being fitted into a tall 600 appliance housing ? If they are you will have to move the hinge plates on the housing to line up with the hinge holes on your doors.

3. John Carr

John Carr New Member

Hi, no they're free standing separate units standing side by side. The door fits on to the existing fridge / freezer hinges

4. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

What make and model number are the fridge and freezer John ? I'll have a look at them and get back to you.

5. John Carr

John Carr New Member

That's great thank you it's a Beko BZ21. Fridge and freezer are almost identical externally

6. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

Ahhhhhhhhh, somehow i thought it might be a Beko. They have THE worst door mounting system of any integrated fridges and freezers. I'm afraid you simply will not be able to mount a J profile handled door onto either of them. Even a normal door is a pain to mount because there is no adjustment available. If they are new, send them back and and change them for another set of another make. Even the likes of Hotpoint do a mounting system for doors that beats that lol.

7. John Carr

John Carr New Member

I've just had a look and there might be an option, (I thought that there might be a fitting kit but thank you for the update.) The actual distance to get down to the thicker part of the door is less then 15mm so I'm wondering if I can fit a plate to the door and secure it to the hinge. I ended up with a spare door from Wickes so I'll give it a try.

8. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If you don't want to go down the route of replacing the fridge and freezer. I think the following would be worth a try. If you have any single hole L brackets laying around ? That's a small L bracket with one hole in each L. Drill a hole in the side of fridge/freezer door and screw the bracket to it flush with the front of the hinge but below the handle position, that then gives you a mounting point.

9. John Carr

John Carr New Member

That well worth a try, thank you very much for the advice. If I post an update it worked, if not...

10. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

If it does work you may well need to keep moving the door to align it with the doors next to it, once you think the alignment is correct fix a couple more small L brackets to each side below the first one. It will make the mount more secure, especially on the opening side.

11. Working On It

Working On It Member

I've got the same door (Magnet) and an under counter fridge, my L brackets I turned upside down so just managed to get a small grub screw into the door rather than on the 'gutter' as you call it...

WOI

12. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The OP only has 1 Bracket on the top of his fridge and freezer door on the opening side. The only means supplied by Beko to secure the hinge side is to screw through the hinge itself at the top of the door................which of course would destroy his handle.

Even having to turn your L brackets upside down is a Rubbish and inaccurate method of fitting a door to an integrated fridge or freezer. It just stinks of cheaping out by the manufacturer.

13. nigel willson

nigel willson Screwfix Select

Are they new. Drilling loads of holes in it may void warranty, beware!

14. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

In the fridge itself it would defo void the warranty, but not in the side of the door. Most if not all tall integrated fridge freezers have to be drilled in the door sides to fix the mounting brackets. It has no effect on the operation of a fridge or freezer.

15. John Carr

John Carr New Member

Hi guys,

Just to clarify there are four fixing points and there is some adjustment at all four corners, (up and down only.) The bottom two fixings are no problem screwing straight into the thick part of the door. The problem is the top two fixings as you can see in the attached pictures, both top brackets back on to the thin edge of the door 'handle.' I think the L bracket screwed into the edge of the fridge / freezer door could be a winner. u_10444927.jpg handleless.jpg

16. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

There is no up and down adjustment or side to side for that matter. If you think about it for a min..............the hinge side is fixed............it won't move.
    The firm we fit for at the moment has sold a few of these lately and they are a complete nightmare to fit and get right. Because there is No adjustment you have to get your screws in spot on first time. They are pants and should be avoided even though they are cheap.

Once you have put 2 screws in the opening bracket and then the hinge at the top, moving the door 2mm to the right or left and then raising or lowering the left or right side by 2mm is impossible. These things simply should not be sold as integrated appliances.

Plus of course you cant raise or lower the back legs from the front.

17. John Carr

John Carr New Member

Its hard to see from the picture but there is adjustment. The central section of the fixed hinge has an insert that you can screw up / down to level the door. When its level you screw through the permanent fixings. You can see it best in the bottom right hinge where there is a sideways keyhole shape with a fixing hole either side.

18. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Well you won't be able to use an 'L' bracket on the hinge side and have adjustment!

19. John Carr

John Carr New Member

The adjustment is only to level the door before you fix it permanently, you can use the bottom hinges to level up and then fit L brackets or adapt the top hinge to hold the door in place.

Kitfit1 is correct though, its not a great solution because you're hanging the cabinet door on the fridge door and not a fixed kitchen unit.

20. kitfit1

kitfit1 Screwfix Select

The point is though John, all the manufactures charge a Premium for integrated appliances, including the like's of Beko and Fagor. Both come up with the same crappy way of fitting a door because it costs them nothing but costs a fitter hours of time that should really take mins with something designed properly. When i fit a kitchen now, if it's an under counter Beko or fagor fridge or freezer instead of £60 i charge at least £120 to fit it..........................if the customer baulks at it.....................then buy a proper integrated fridge or freezer is my answer because i'm not paying for it with my time for a another multinational to make make money at my expense.