Hard wearing paint for classroom walls

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by gosnoid, May 5, 2016.

1. gosnoid

gosnoid New Member

Hi all,
    I am a school site manager and I'm panning to decorate some classrooms over the school holiday. I'm looking for a paint finish for walls that will be hard wearing and wipeable. I was planning on using oil eggshell, but a painter I've had in to quote tells me that the trade is going away from using it and won't even give me a quote if I insist. Any advice welcome.

2. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Is he 'avin a larf guv' Oil Based Eggshell would be ideal, perhaps he means Acrylic Eggshell would be better to use taking into account from the point of view of fumes. Oil based solvent fumes, although substantially reduced since becoming VOC compliant in 2010 would still be present so ventilation is very important. If you are near me I would be happy to quote for the job. (West Sussex).

3. Oil eggshell on walls? Blimey - that's gonna smell. Don't forget to leave the top window open - so's you can float out half way through.

You could use vinyl silk emulsion which is generally tougher than matt, but actually there are some very hard-wearing matt paints available these days - try a surf for 'scrubable' or similar.

I'm sure peeps can advise on specific makes.

4. gosnoid

gosnoid New Member

TBH I'm not really fussed about finish (it's only a classroom after all), but I know it will get marked and battered. Performance over looks. Endurance-matt looks good, thanks Devil's, but I'm confused as to the difference between that and their Diamond range? Astramax, it's Dartford area, if that's not too far?

5. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Stick to eggshell, Endurance is not all what it is made out to be, more for heavy domestic areas than a really testing school environment.

Endurance is the Dulux retail version where as Diamond is sold under the Dulux Trade branding and is a harder wearing version due to it's chemical make up, Wickes sell Endurance and sometimes have an offer of buy 2 and get a 3rd one free usually around £36 per 5 litres so can be a good saving.

I'm on the South Coast next stop sea, so too far for myself!:(

Last edited: May 5, 2016
  6. gosnoid

gosnoid New Member

Thanks for the reply. Eggshell it is (I assume you mean acrylic?). I guess brands are much alike really?

7. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

Use 120 grit to provide a key for the new paint and wash all walls with a diluted sugar soap solution rinsing off prior to application of any paint, apply 2 coats with roller and use a synthetic brush for cutting in and edge work. Dulux do a Diamond Eggshell which is an acrylic formulation as is Brewers Albany Acrylic Eggshell, Diamond branded paints are ££££££ plenty.

8. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

By far the easiest way to keep classroom walls clean, is to exclude all pupils from the school... Problem solved, until the staff start scrawling all over them. :D:D:D:D:D:D

9. Jitender

Jitender Screwfix Select

10. Astramax

Astramax Super Member

No it's all contracted out these days! :D