hard wiring for cooker

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by EllenLeo, Mar 1, 2010.

1. EllenLeo

EllenLeo New Member

I am going to get an electric cooker (free-standing) and have been told it needs to be hard-wired. As I have been using a gas cooker for many years, I do not know if my flat has that or not. Behind my cooker is what was called a stubby by someone recently, and on the wall there is a red switch marked 'cooker' and an outlet for a plug.
    Can someone tell me if it is true I need only get a connector and hook it to the appliance and the stubby, being sure that the connector is the same, hell, sorry for swearing but I do not know enough about any of this to even frame the question!
    What is the fair amount to expect to pay an electrician to come and do this and check it is all safe? Gas has been used by me for 26 years in this flat, maybe the stuff that is in there is not powerful enough to cope with the load, if that makes any sense either.
    Please be serious, this is a serious question.

2. Sutton Spark

Sutton Spark New Member

expect to pay around £35 per hour + call out charge. If you need the supply cable changing, depending on the size of the cable and length another £250-350

3. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

Chances are, it sounds like it just need some cooke flex and connecting up. Half an hour, testing an' all.

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

4. Sutton Spark

Sutton Spark New Member

whereabouts are you located?

5. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

In the kitchen :)

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

6. robster911

robster911 New Member

£250-300!!!! what do you use? 6.0mm gold plated?..id hate 2 think what u charge 4 a rewire!!! cheers;)

7. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

I didn't think that was a bad price. Its about £65 for 10mm or £30 for 6mm for 25 meters (depends on the load and length of the run). Assuming there is no RCD protection that would need addressed too.

???

8. dale76uk

dale76uk Member

^^^ missed 'TO' out doh!

9. EllenLeo

EllenLeo New Member

Tower Bridge SE1

10. unphased

unphased Screwfix Select

Hi Ellen

From your description it would appear that there is already provision for an electric cooker. Just needs a length of 4mm2 or 6mm2 T&E to connect the new cooker to the supply. I assume the "stubby" is a cooker outlet plate where the connection would be made. Expect to pay between £45 and £75 for this (not sure about London rates).

:)