Hate cutting in!

Discussion in 'Painters' Talk' started by koolpc, Oct 13, 2016.

1. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

I hate painting a room but worst of all i HATE cutting in!

2. KIAB

KIAB Super Member

Easy, a steady hand & a quailty brush, I use Purdy.:)

See this guide, among the best.

tore81 likes this.
  3. joinerjohn1

joinerjohn1 Screwfix Select

I always get cramp in me shoulder after 10 minutes cutting in. ;)

4. koolpc

koolpc Super Member

30 years of painting and i still hate it!

5. tore81

tore81 Screwfix Select

Only part of painting I like is cutting in as you need a bit of skill to it.

After watching a few you tube vids And a few hundred walls I think I've got it lol

KIAB likes this.
  6. DIYDave.

DIYDave. Screwfix Select

I find that the more you stress and overthink this part of the job, the slower and worse results you get - for me anyway

Main things (for me) is correct height and comfortable position on ladder or platform, like to be as high as possible without cracking head on ceiling or crouching over

Have been using slant edge brushes for cutting in and found them really nice to use, a few differant sizes of Harris synthetic (blue handles)
    Find they both hold the paint and release it well and keep their shape

Have used recently with emulsion and satin wood, both solvent and spirit based and found them good with all paint types

As my first comment about overthinking - I have the same ethos when on occasion I go 10pin bowling.
    The more concentration, pre planning, thinking, faffing about, the ball goes right down the gutter or on occasion, a neighbours lane :eek:

A quick shifty at the lane, puff up the chest with confidence and go for it...... not brilliant but knock over a few pins (even in my own lane) :)

FatHands likes this.
  7. enc

enc Active Member

Tried frog tape ?

8. Back On Site

Back On Site New Member

It's a skill and takes practice but I've found the following help me:

Using a good quality 3" Purdy brush. Cutting in with a rubbish brush I find nigh on impossible.
    Thinning the paint slightly with a bit of water so it flows. So much easier than cutting in with thick paint straight out of the can.
    Getting yourself at the right height on your ladder.
    If the joins between the ceiling and walls are a bit uneven I will finger fill right around the room with tetrion or polyfilla. Once you rub this down you have a clean and level join to cut into and it's far easier to get a finish.

Not sure this thread was for tips, maybe more a comment on how frustrating cutting in can be, but thought I'd share anyway in case it helps anyone!

FatHands and KIAB like this.
  9. Working On It

Working On It Member

Best thing to do when cutting in, get someone else to do it. I hate painting. :mad:

10. Mr Rusty

Mr Rusty Screwfix Select

+1 only thing I have ever paid anyone to do, that I could do myself (except for stuff you have to use pro's for like gas and big stuff like building extensions)