Hawk Combi Boiler not igniting

Discussion in 'Plumbers' Talk' started by pete267, Oct 19, 2006.

1. pete267

pete267 New Member

Hi All,
    Friend has a combi boiler that doesnt igniite when hot water is called for or when central heating calls for heat. The only info I have is that they can see the pilot light and the word 'hawk' is printed on the case.

Any ideas (sensible ideas :)

Thanks
    Pete

2. 007.5

007.5 New Member

Is there enough pressure in the heating circuit? Boiler won't start if the pressure is too low. Use the filling loop to fill to about 1.5 bar. Just an idea

3. pete267

pete267 New Member

Was the vacume sensor. Boiler turned out to be a FER Hawk boiler, any idea where to obtain parts ?

4. pete267

pete267 New Member

vacume sensor had krom schroder stamped on it. Where can i get one ?

5. pete267

pete267 New Member

Anyone have any idea where I can obtain a vacume sensor for a FER Hawk boiler ?

Thanks

6. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

7. pete267

pete267 New Member

Thanks very much

8. Does anyone know what this "vacume sensor" is likely to be?

Tony

9. pete267

pete267 New Member

OK ok Vacuum or air pressure switch :)

10. Captain Leaky

Captain Leaky New Member

11. tabath

tabath Member

Just out of interest does he hear the fan starting up when there is a demand for heat?

12. pete267

pete267 New Member

I removed pipe that runs to air switch, if I suck it the boiler lights. Then shorted out the air switch and the boiler lights. Made sure the pipes wernt blocked etc so concluded its the switch. The switch does have an adjustment but as it was sealed with nail varnish type stuff I assume it shouldnt be adjusted and so needs replacing.

13. ATech

ATech New Member

The Hawke has a metal venturi in the top section of the boiler that sends the fan running signal to the pressure switch. Check this metal venturi for corrosion, make sure it is spotless. You may have to remove a metal plate to find it. I have had this problem in the past. The pressure switch was ok.

Andy

14. ATech

ATech New Member

I recall also, the Hawke has a 2 speed fan controlled by the PCB. It runs all the time on low speed & switches to high on demand. The pressure switch should only be triggered on high speed. Check the PCB output & fan speeds.

Thanks Captain for the boiler spares link. A comprehensive site.

Andy.

15. pete267

pete267 New Member

Andy,
    Thanks for the reply, I did look at the metal venturi, that is where I removed the vacuum pipe from when I sucked it to prove the boiler would then fire up. The Venturi did look a little corroded, I have another look and spend more time cleaning it up. The pressure switch does work (as I proved by sucking it) but I thought it may just be on its way out.

Pete

16. Northwest gas svc's

Northwest gas svc's New Member

Is the fan clean, if this is full of dust it wont blow enough air to make the air press switch, also if the heat exch is full of **** this wont help.
    By the way , how hard did you blow into the air press switch cause you may need a new one now anyway ! These are usually set between 0.5 to 1.5mb !

PWAF

17. ATech

ATech New Member

Did we fix it ?

18. lindaplumber

lindaplumber New Member

hi pete

did you ever sort out your hawk combi boiler? we seem to be having exactly the same problem. two engineers have worked on it a total of nine times and still not fixed the problem - any ideas?

regards

a very cold householder