Heated Towel Rail

Discussion in 'Electricians' Talk' started by FlyByNight, Jul 25, 2017.

1. FlyByNight

FlyByNight Screwfix Select

I need to locate a switch for a heated towel rail in a bathroom, the rail is I believe 300 or 400w.

The rail has a controller that is IPx5 rated and is actually located outside the zones - approx 1.4m from the nearest point of the bath.

I could run the flex into a two-pole switched fuse outlet switch. However, I still do not like switches in bathrooms even outside the zones and would prefer to connect the flex to T&E behind a blanking plate.

There are two other options; first, to put a switched fused outlet on the other side of the wall, which will no bet be aesthetically pleasing and a little difficult; OR have the switch/fuse in an adjacent room, where the connection is spurred off (already fused). In linear distance it is around 2m, and walking just over 3m. The shower pump and boiler are both switched at that point.

Does the latter give any issues? I cannot immediately think of any, there is a niggle that says "maybe".

2. FlyByNight

Need to add: The circuit is RCD protected.

3. seneca

seneca Screwfix Select

Option three.

FlyByNight likes this.
  4. FlyByNight

Thanks, I assume you cannot think of any reason why not, either. Having CH, shower pump, electric towel heater all together (with an outside light isolator) looks reasonably neat and will look even better when a grid of switches and fuses is installed in place of the switched FCUs.

5. FlyByNight

Does anyone else have any comments?

And can anyone point to a faceplate similar to a Cooker Connection Unit but thinner - connections on the rear but no switch or fuse? The alternative being a standard blanking plate with a cut out in the bottom and Wago 221 or 222 connectors behind OR an FCU (with tamperproof screw).

6. FlyByNight

Is it legitimate to run suitably rated flex under the floor from the switch to the connection rather than T&E? I believe it will be fine, it is appliance wiring rather than fixed and is just using a convenient route.