Help building a 4x2.7m shed

Discussion in 'Builders' Talk' started by Nishing, Jul 11, 2015.

1. Nishing

Nishing Member

Hi, im building a 4x2.7m shed in the garden and need some advice on the plan.

I was thinking of either building the shed on brick piers on concrete footings or just concrete blocks on sand, then i was hoping to start building the floor frame on that, any opinions?

What size timbers should i get for the floor frame? Is 47x150mm acceptable? I have some approx 47x75mm's from the garage that i tore down and i want to use them part of the frame (prob as studs as they arent that long)

Im also worried about the wind blowing the shed down, should it be attached thr ground in some way?

Cheers

image.jpg

2. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

Ready made sheds are expensive but I mulled over whether to build my own years ago. I costed out the materials and then bought a ready made one.

3. Nishing

Nishing Member

You probably didnt use a calculator, rookie mistake.

4. Nishing

Nishing Member

Anyway i now want to build the shed without a wooden floor, so basically it will be dirt and ill lay paving slabs inside but what to build the walls on ?

5. PaulBlackpool

PaulBlackpool Screwfix Select

As a retired accountant I could calculate the cost of building a shed either in my head or using a calculator. My post was meant to be taken as factual not facetious. With an attitude like yours you are not going to get much help on here I think . And without a floor in your shed you are going to be pretty cold in winter. Ready built sheds are built from the optimum thickness of timber so as to be fit for purpose. If you buy a good one it will last you for decades. If you build yourself in my experience you will tend to overbuild and that is when the costs rack up.
    No further comments from me: see what others make of your query.

Gatt likes this.
  6. Nishing

Nishing Member

Sorry you took offence to that but it was a joke, lighten up.

I already have some of the timber, cladding and the roof so bit late to think about buying a shed and i disagree your assesment of premade sheds they are made to be as cheap as possible

7. Mr. Handyandy

Mr. Handyandy Screwfix Select

I think it would be a mistake to just have slabs as the floor. It will take up the damp from the ground, and not dry out(being inside a shed).

Mr. HandyAndy - Really

Nishing likes this.
  8. Nishing

Nishing Member

Ok seems doing it without a floor would be to much trouble so i am going with original plan of concrete blocks leveled with the floor frame on top, i would like to know what is the minimum timber size required for the floor and should i have 3 joists running the length and then joists running horizontally every 16" or is 24" ok?

I plan to have 12 blocks (3 rows of 4) supporting the long joists

I would appreciate some advice on this as i hope to start getting the materials tomorrow, thanks

9. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

I'd go with an 8x2 'H' frame and then use 6x2 at 400 centres running perpendicular to these. I'd double up on the central 8x2 though and bolt them together with coach bolts or similar . You could use jiffy hangers for the 6x2. A lot depends on what is going in the shed.

Nishing likes this.
  10. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

'H', I suppose its more an '8'...squared off of course!!

11. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Also, if you buy 2.4 6x2's you'll have an almost ready made offcut noggin. Either way, think about how to make best use of your timber with regard to ordering specific lengths.

12. Nishing

Nishing Member

Ok thanks i didnt know you could use different size joists, shame i couldnt use all the 2x4's i have.

I gurss your way i wouldnt need a row of 4 blocks running down the middle

Last edited: Jul 12, 2015
  13. Nishing

Nishing Member

Do you think your way i could just do 3 rows of 3 blocks running the width of the shed?

14. malkie129

malkie129 Screwfix Select

I think maybe, that you should have taken more notice of Paul's reply. :oops:

PaulBlackpool likes this.
  15. Nishing

Nishing Member

Like this image.jpg

16. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

What I've suggested, was purely based on setting the base 'off' the floor much like a deck, as you wouldn't want it sagging. Malkie is quite right that this is potentially over engineering and Paul has previously mentioned this based on cost etc. If you already had a flat concrete/slab base then 4x2 at 400 centres would be fine.

17. Nishing

Nishing Member

I already have the cladding, roof and alot of the frame timber and dont have thousands of pounds for a decent prebuilt.

How much you think a 3x4m shed with a floor frame made out of 8x2's would cost? I think alot

18. CGN

CGN Screwfix Select

Yes, what you've drawn would be ideal. Just phone around for prices, I'm not up to date on timber prices.
    This was a deck frame I did last year. Similar to what I suggested, but yes, up to you to decide if overkill for your shed.

image.jpg

19. Nishing

Nishing Member

The roof is fibre cement and i paid £500 for it (although half is todo the other shed) i actually brought it to replace the old asbestos garage roof but the garage was in to sorry a state to put my £500 panels on so i tore it down and here we are

20. Nishing

Nishing Member

I dont really know what is overkill but if i could get away with using the 2x4s and just buying 2x6's for the outer joists that would be ideal